Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extending Wifi Range, Seeking Advice

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
ta0soft
Aspirant
Aspirant

First a bit of a backstory, my car was vandalized twice in 3 years so I decided to purchase an Arlo Pro camera and install it in my parking spot. The problem is the parking lot is located underground 200 feet away from my router and separated by concrete walls.

Initially I was getting a weak signal and a bit of lag, but it worked better than I expected so I continued using it for about a month and a half. Well two weeks ago the garage was broken into once again and this time they stole a car! Thankfully the police recovered the stolen vehicle but my neighbor's toolbox and other items were taken as well.

My camera caught a 30-second video of the thieves but the footage was extremely blurry. I was very dissapointed that it did not get their faces because they walked right in front of my car and looked directly at my camera. The video could've been used to identify the suspect(s) if I was getting a better signal.

So I did my homework and learned about wi-fi repeaters and range extenders. Unfortunately I would have to install the extender/Arlo base station in a neighbor's apartment to get the best signal closest to my car. I had no idea about the Arlo Go at the time, looking back that might be the better option for me, but I already made my purchase and my 14-day return policy at Best Buy has expired.

I also looked into buying a better router but only a few different modems are supported by my ISP (CenturyLink). Besides I think the base station establishes it's own wireless connection to the camera so a new router won't make any difference.

I think my only solution is to install the base station in my neighbor's unit. I might not even need an extender if he lets me connect it directly to his modem, but this is obviously not ideal and I would like to find a different solution if one exists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Tom

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You are correct that the Arlo Pro connects only to its base station. For a better signal, you will need to move the base station closer to the camera

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Post the video if you can, so I can see if it's just how Arlo pro looks or if your signal affected the video quality. You could install a wifi extender that has Ethernet port on it and plug the base into that port (that's what I do). But you of course would need power and you wouldn't want your extender or base stolen. Your neighbors network might be easiest and cheapest but it would use their bandwidth...
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Or if not the GO camera, if indoors you could look at the Q cameras...they hook into your home wifi system ( no base ) and you could use either an extender if it reaches OR just hook into you neighbors wifi if closer ( if they allow ) and run it from your account at home... no need for a base unit

Also the camera has a much higher rez at 1080 and better detection , runs on AC so no batteries.( indoor rated )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ta0soft
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here's a link to the video: http://ta0soft.com/misc/2_3_17_236_AM.mp4

at 00:03 you can see the woman look directly at my camera but it's blurry so you can't see her face. When I move the camera closer to the base station I get a much better signal and almost no lag, so I know the distance/concrete walls are causing it. Another option is to install the extender somewhere in the parking lot, there are plenty of outlets but there is a risk of it getting stolen. I will ask my neighbor today if he'll let me install it in his apartment.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Another option is to install something like the Netgear Orbi.

The base in your apartment and the satellite in you neighbors apartment. The satellite would be attached wirelessly to your wifi not your neighbors.

Attach the Arlo base to the satellite which by the sounds of things would now be closer to the garage.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Looked at the video... the blur is due to the camera being prob at max range to function or interference and causing drop out of some of the frames ( key frames during movement ) of the video... as mentioned, needs to be closer to the base with what ever method you choose.

In this case I woud really opt for the Q cam if you have a power option available

Morse is faster than texting!
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I agree with tommac, your original thought of them being too far away seems correct.
fuzzypixel
Guide
Guide

ta0soft
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok thanks, I purchased a Netgear wifi extender yesterday I'll let you guys know if it makes any improvement.