Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
quikned
Initiate
Initiate

I have a custom home with CAT5E wires already in place outside.  The wires are in high locations on the house (places where intruders won't be able to get to the cameras and tamper with them).

It's nice that the Arlo Pro has a rechargeable battery.... but I don't need it.

I would like to be able to connect a Micro-USB to CAT5 adapter to the back of the Arlo and simply have it operate outdoors while plugged in.  I definitely don't want to have to climb up and recharge/replace batteries every few months.

Can this be done?  Will the Arlo operate while directly plugged in over long periods of time?  I prefer to never have to touch any of my Arlos.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What voltage and what current are available using your Ethernet connection? Those are the important items. I see 44-57 volts which would hardly be appropriate. 5v and 9v are what's needed.
quikned
Initiate
Initiate

I would only use the CAT5 to micro-USB adapter on one end.  The other end would plug into your USB charging wall adapter.

What in the world do you guys do with customers who want to keep their cameras in hard to reach locations outdoors???  I'm just confused about your concept..  You want to provide a completely wireless camera unit that is ready for outdoor use... but where do you think most people are keeping these outdoor cameras???  At eye level?? So other people can steal it??  What about those people who want to keep the camera 15-20 ft in the air, mounted to an outdoor wall??  Pretty tough to have to climb up there every few months to charge a battery.

Nice concept on your cameras, but it doesn't make sense.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

quikned wrote:

I would only use the CAT5 to micro-USB adapter on one end.  The other end would plug into your USB charging wall adapter.

Wire gauge and length could be an issue as well as the number of interconnections the current has to pass through.  The same issues occur when simply using a longer USB cable although those would seem to be more of a problem than an Ethernet run.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

IMO, since you have the cat5 there and don't want to change batteries, it would be so much easier to use a Cat5 balun with powr option and run a standard camera type sytem.... the Arlos don't fit every type of use.

If you want to stay with Arlos,  use a balun with power option  and MOD it to accept usb power.. Tho you may need to use pairs of wires combined to cut  down on dc loss

We use to run baluns with dc and telephone lines so cat5 would make it possible...you'll just have to think outside the box

As mentioned re power baluns;

If you are using the cable to power a camera as well as transfer video signal then we would suggest a maximum distance of about 50 metres to avoid voltage drop. This assumes you are using 3 pairs of wire for 12 volt supply and 1 pair for video signal transfer as per our images below.

Depending on the distance you have, you may need to put 6v in to get the 5 out at far end,,,testing would def be required

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------