Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Does the Arlo base station have to be plugged in via LAN, or can it connect via wifi?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Philomorph
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the Arlo base station (regular or pro) have to be plugged into your network via ethernet cable? Or can it connect to your network via WiFi?

My router has a dedicated plug in the house for DSL internet coming in (so I can't move it) and is very far from my front door. So if the Arlo base station has to be plugged directly into my router then the signal from it to the cameras outside my door is going to be weak. For reference, my router, which is a pretty decent one, has a signal strength of around -65 outside on my porch.

Or is the base station using a different wireless technology that's got better range than a wifi router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary
4 REPLIES 4
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary
Philomorph
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the link - don't know why I didn't find that on my search. 

Do you know the answer to the second part of my question? Is the base station just using standard wifi to connect to the cameras? Or is it using something more dedicated that might have better reception through walls to the outside?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Or is the base station using a different wireless technology that's got better range than a wifi router?

The Arlo and Arlo Pro base set up their own wifi system that talk to the cameras ONLY... standard 2.4ghz wifi.

Will say that the bases do put out a good signal..about 10% stronger than my 2 older routers.

The way to centralized the base is either etherent cable or wifi extender to locate it best for all cameras OR if you have a second base, you could place one at each end of the home and sync the closest cameras to each base ( extra bases are not charged for on any service level )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

The base uses 2.4GHz and is locked exlusively to the Arlo cams.