Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
kblank
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought the system today. Setting the cameras in various places around the house to test it all out. Lots of trouble w/"Arlo currently unavailable" message & cameras offline messages. I see that that is a common complaint. Testing to see if location in the house improves things, started w/both cameras next to the base & moving out from there.

2 features that would be nice to have, both related to having children in the home who may be home alone but don't have access to a mobile device: 1) a "panic button" on the base to sound the alarm; and 2) speaker buttons on the base to talk through the cameras. FYI Netgear!
4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kblank,

It sounds like poor signal strength due to range or interference may be causing an issue.

Starting the cameras close to the base and changing to various locations is a good test to isolate the issue. You might also consider relocating your base station, ensuring it is as far away from other wireless devices as possible to eliminate potential interference.

JamesC

kblank
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you James, I did just that - for some reason they just seemed to work better once I had them operating next to the base for a while. Now they've been installed at both doors for 2 days & are mostly working fine, they have mostly stayed connected and they have also not been generating unwanted (excessive) notifications. So far so good!
T1P_Services
Aspirant
Aspirant
Would you happen to know what the distance recommendation is between the base station and the camera? I would like to use one of these cameras Outdoors on my properties gate which is about 300 ft from my house.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

300 feet is almost assuredly a no-go.  In a perfect world with no interference and an unobstructed connection it may work but reality bites.  Real world connectivity is maybe as far as 100 feet and can be 25 feet or less, depending on a ton of variables.  Placement of the base and camera is key.  A long Ethernet cable or a WiFi or Powerline etender may be needed.  A second base station is also a possibility when situations really get sticky.