Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Ricearoni1024
Tutor
Tutor
Hi I currently have about a 2 month old arlo pro system with 4 cameras they are all showing as offline as is the base station. All the cameras still record video and all 3 green lights are on my base station. I can’t change my mode either since it appears as offline which is very annoying. Anyone have advice?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo engineering team has identified the cause and resolved this issue. Please let us know if you continue experiencing this behavior.

JamesC

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
senoreit
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the exact same problem, which started last night or this morning.  There appear to be a few other threads started by people experiencing similar issues.  Another user said that after rebooting his modem, router, and base station (in that order), his devices reconnected.  However, I have tried that without success.  The following trouble ticket has been submitted:

"Hello,

Beginning last night or this morning, all four of my Arlo Pro cameras as well as the base station are showing as 'offline.'

Specifically, the app is displaying the following message for all of my cameras: 'Your Arlo device appears offline. Please make sure it is powered on and connected to the internet.' For the base station, it states 'Base Station Offline.'

As a result, I cannot enter live view mode or adjust any camera or base station settings. HOWEVER, my cameras are still making recordings and sending alerts based on motion detection rules I had set up when my system is working. Obviously if my cameras are making recordings, they are not offline, but that is what the app is telling me.

I am not having any problems with any of my other internet-connected devices. However, in an attempt to troublshoot, I have rebooted my modem, my router, and the Arlo base station, but the problem still exists."

Ricearoni1024
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the heads up I will give that a shot but hopefully it will get resolved by netgear soon!
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Here's what I'd try first........

Restart your phone, try app again.

Log out of the app and log back in.

Force close and uninstall the app, reinstall and log back in.

Try your cameras on the website, if offline there then it's probably not the app and sounds like it might be an account issue at that point where netgear support would have to help.

You can also check to see if the app is restrcted in anyway from using background or foreground data, but those settings are OS specific so we'd need to know android or iOS?

Sandroo
Star
Star
My base went down last night too. All lights green, connected to internet, communicating with Netgear, and cameras connected. Software says it's not connected. I checked the modem software, it sees the base and says it's connected. I opened a support ticket by email on this, they have not responded yet. I tried to call support, good luck with that. Half hour wait minimum.

Here's and interesting note. Older posts show this has happened in the past, the problem was at Netgear and they reset their systems to correct it. Hmmm??

Update: I unplugged the base, then the modem. Waited. Plugged in modem, until internet in home restored. Then plugged in arlo Base. All lights turned green after reconnecting. My arlo software is working again, all cameras visible and armed.
senoreit
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the suggestions.  The devices are showing as offline on the website as well.

Ricearoni1024
Tutor
Tutor
It’s all ios tried the website and the app no luck with either. I will try the uninstalling. Thanks.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If uninstalling/reinstalling the app doesn't help you'll probably have to open a ticket with arlo support. Your account may be messed up.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There seems to be a spate of this issue today. I'm trying to raise the issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are currently investigating this issue. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Ricearoni1024
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you hopefully everything will get figured out soon.
Dmats143
Aspirant
Aspirant

James any updates on the fix?

sobolewskis1
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, I am having the exact same problem. Starting about yesterday (9/20). I have been trying to resolve the issue for about two hours now.

Cameras still recorded, however the same "offline" message was there on the app, and unable to view live footage. I have uninstalled the entire system. Now I cannot even get my base to be recognized to attempt to re-sync the cameras. All other internet features in the home are working just fine. I even have all the green lights on the base lit up. Resetting did nothing. 

I almost wish I didn't uninstall everything because having some recordings was better than nothing that I have now...

Hope to re-try again tomorrow with more luck. Otherwise will be calling support.

senoreit
Tutor
Tutor

And just like that - the problem has resolved itself without any further action on my part.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo engineering team has identified the cause and resolved this issue. Please let us know if you continue experiencing this behavior.

JamesC

sobolewskis1
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James, thank you for your attention to this matter.

Any idea why I cannot connect to my base station anymore since uninstalling all devices (in a previous attempt to fix the issue)?

Thank you.

SMaster
Tutor
Tutor

I would have been a GREAT idea to post that on 9/21/17 Netgear was having intermittent issues with the broweser showing the "Base was offline"  or "Your Arlo device appears offline". I spent two hours messing with hardware on my end trying to fix it and find out this morning that it was an issue with Netgear/Arlo system!

NOTE: Your Arlo device appears offline

The problem fixed itselt when THEY got something fixed on thier end. CAMERA WERE STILL RECORDING AND DOWNLOADING CURRENT CLIPS, JUST WOULDN'T LET ME ACCESS CAMERA. IT WAS NOT MY SYSTEM AT ALL!

Hope this helps someone in future searches. Just wait a few hours, or a  day. You can still see the videos, just can't changes camera modes or use Live view.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sobolewskis1,

If you've removed or reset your base station, it will need to be claimed again on your account. Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices and remove the base station. After it has been removed,  go back to your account main screen (Devices) and click "Add Device". Select base station and follow the on screen instructions. If you're having trouble discovering the device, you may need to manually factory reset the base by pressing and holding the reset button until all LEDs flash amber. Also be sure the device you are using to add the base station to your account is connected to the same network as the base station.  

JamesC

Sandroo
Star
Star
Ditto that, 2 hrs wasted. Hello Netgear, your customers will be happier if you at least appear somewhat caring and customer centric. Letting everyone know by bulk email will improve your reputation..

I see in a search of historic posts to the community that this has happened before, and just like this time Netgear was invisible until customers innundated support lines.

I just installed, and within 48 hours learned 1) arlo is unreliable/glitchy and 2) Netgear is not particularly proactive or customer centric.

Netgear Moderator, how might the Company address such perceptions? I have 24 days left to return this kit to Costco.
J150
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine did this today. Although, mine did not record.
Sandroo
Star
Star

Mine’s working again after disconnecting power from base, restarting the house wireless modem, then restarting the base. Nice note from Arlo support explained they pushed out a system update to arlo bases and that caused a problem for some customers.  It was a problem on their end and they fixed it. You might try that recommended reboot sequence. It worked for my base.

it would be helpful if they could notify registered users before pushing a software update, with a link to help resources should we experience any problem. Wouldn’t that be customer centered and proactive?  You’d think? Instead I spent two hours trying to get it back online again, including waiting (and giving up) on hold for telephone support.

SMaster
Tutor
Tutor
There really isn’t a good excuse for them not to notify users when they are going to do that. It would have saved a lot of aggravation. They can spam about their new products etc. The same email system can’t sent out alerts.
Sandroo
Star
Star
Exactly! So easy to do. Just a short friendly message, with a link to help should the software update cause you any problems. A huge opportunity to touch customers with a positive message “we’re improving your Arlo.” And if something does happen (and it
does, no matter how much testing), the help resource at the link sent out can be quickly updated with information and solutions in real time. Instead of a frantic community, inundated call lines, and bruised reputation. Shall we give them the benefit of the doubt that someone with decision authority is getting this feedback? Cheers!