Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Detect chage in ambient light Pro Model

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Stan89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

Just got setup with some used cameras (Pro1 and Basic, will be adding Pro2s) and like what I see so far.

Trying to figure out how to get a single camera to detect a sudden change in ambient light (i.e. a light being turned on in a dark room, not a gradual change such as the sun coming up...) and then take action and record a clip. Unlike some camera systems, Arlo does not seem to see this as a motion detection...

Many thanks,

Stan...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stan89 wrote:

The situation I am trying to fill is that I have a basement that is not usually accessed that I want to monitor for possible leaks or other issues on a daily basis. I currently have a light that is on a switch that is scheduled to come on twice a day for a minute.

My Essential Indoor camera has pixel-based detection.  While I haven't tested your particular scenario, I don't think it will work - I think the camera is looking for motion, not light level changes.  If I have a chance, I'll see if I can set up something similar to your use case, and test it.

If you can get an incandescent light bulb, you might try testing with that - the heat from the bulb might result in triggering the camera.  If the basement is normally quiet, you could also add in something that will make noise when the light switch is triggered (an old table radio perhaps???).  Then you could use audio detection with the Pro and Pro 2, instead of motion detection.

You might also want to try powering the camera (pro or pro 2), and see if that makes any difference.

FWIW, I think having the ability to schedule snapshots or timed video would be a nice feature, but unfortunately Arlo doesn't have it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dannybear
Master
Master

The arlo pro/2 camera’s use a PIR sensor to detect infrared motion to trigger recording events, there is no image processing.

That said you can use activity zones to narrow the picture detection areas to mask unwanted motion detection when triggered by the PIR. Ac power is required, else subscription for battery only operation.

ArloQ does video motion detection.

Stan89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Dannybear,

Thank you for your very prompt reply. If I had an ArloQ camera in this one area, does this mean that it would respond to the sudden change in the ambient light and record a clip?

Thank you also for the answer about the PIR sensor. I had to Goggle this and 

learned something today…

Thanks again,

Stan…

Dannybear
Master
Master

The article below defines in more detail,

https://kb.arlo.com/583/How-does-motion-detection-work-on-Arlo-cameras-and-doorbells 

I don’t have a arlo Q or any other to be able to advise you if it will work the way you want, although the info says it detects picture frame changes.

Can you further detail your need for change of lighting to trigger a recording, not a useful  way to manage intrusions unless they have a torchlight.

Stan89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again for the very prompt reply.

The situation I am trying to fill is that I have a basement that is not usually accessed that I want to monitor for possible leaks or other issues on a daily basis. I currently have a light that is on a switch that is scheduled to come on twice a day for a minute. I have an iPhone camera in this area that is using the Presence Security App to make it a security camera that reacts to motion, light, etc. Problem is that the Presence/iPhone setup is balky at times that is starting to get worse. I am trying to replace this setup with something more reliable. I am hoping to find an Arlo solution to this replacement…

Thanks for the link to the camera info.

Stan…

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stan89 wrote:

The situation I am trying to fill is that I have a basement that is not usually accessed that I want to monitor for possible leaks or other issues on a daily basis. I currently have a light that is on a switch that is scheduled to come on twice a day for a minute.

My Essential Indoor camera has pixel-based detection.  While I haven't tested your particular scenario, I don't think it will work - I think the camera is looking for motion, not light level changes.  If I have a chance, I'll see if I can set up something similar to your use case, and test it.

If you can get an incandescent light bulb, you might try testing with that - the heat from the bulb might result in triggering the camera.  If the basement is normally quiet, you could also add in something that will make noise when the light switch is triggered (an old table radio perhaps???).  Then you could use audio detection with the Pro and Pro 2, instead of motion detection.

You might also want to try powering the camera (pro or pro 2), and see if that makes any difference.

FWIW, I think having the ability to schedule snapshots or timed video would be a nice feature, but unfortunately Arlo doesn't have it.

Stan89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I am not at the other location on a daily basis. I tried the heat from the light bulb, but I could not get that to work. But the radio trick that you suggested works fine. The light and the radio are on the same timed switch, and when they both come on, the audio from the radio triggers the camera, and success...and a minute later, both light and radio shut off and the camera stops recording. This gives my twice daily check of conditions in this remote basement area. Not the most glorious setup, but it certainly fits the bill.

Many thanks again,

Stan...

Stan89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Danny,

Just wanted to get back to you to thank you for your helpful info on the types of camera detection. I have experimented with several different camera set-ups over the years and each are quite different, along with their associated learning curve. Your thoughts were most helpful and appreciated. Another user here came up with a great work-around using the audio detection capabilities that fit the bill of what I needed, so I used his as the accepted solution, but still wanted to thank you also.

Thanks again and have a great weekend,

Stan...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stan89 wrote:

The light and the radio are on the same timed switch, and when they both come on, the audio from the radio triggers the camera, and success...and a minute later, both light and radio shut off and the camera stops recording.

Great, I'm glad that is working out for you.