Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Data bandwidth using Arlo Pro with a hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
NightOwlHi
Follower
Follower

I’m looking for a security/camera system to keep an eye on a vacant house. The house has power, but no internet connection. I see that people have used a WiFi extender to connect the Arlo base station to a hotspot.  The lowest tier of data is 2 gb/month at 4G speed then it throttles back to 2G.  I’ve been reading through the forum and found some answers, but I wanted to ask you all if I got it right.

10 seconds of video is about 1mb.
Arlo only sends data when a motion is detected OR if you live stream from the camera.

2 gb is 2048 mb so I could have a max of 2048 events. There is probably some overhead data being sent with each triggered event so it will be less than the 2048.  Does this look about right?  I am assuming that no live streaming was used, which is unrealistic, but I'm just trying to get a feel.  

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think you're in the ballpark but testing would be needed. ANother user with an Arlo Go camera just posted that he was seeing about 6MB/day even with no usage. I suspect that's about right since the system still needs to stay in contact with the servers so you can operate it.