Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cottage Use With Limited Data Available

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Scottmac2019
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there - thinking Arlo is the right choice for remote camera at our cottage. My question is to confirm data usage. I have satellite wifi at the cottage. It's always on and it is reliable. However, it's a set amount of data only and it's expensive. Does Arlo use data always - or can it be set so that it's only using data when I open the app and look at the cottage cam to see what is happening on the dock that moment. I do need a recording function or info storage. I mostly would just like to be able to open the app and look at the cottage once a day. Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can set automatic recordings to short duration or off to minimize data usage. Then only live viewing would use data other than for small amounts with the system calling home to the servers and checking for updates. It doesn't constantly use data.

Scottmac2019
Aspirant
Aspirant

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply - and I realized that I mis-typed - I should have said I DO NOT need a recording function - I only want to be able to have a quick look once in a while - pop into the app and have a look. 

Sounds like Arlo will work perfectly - thanks again