Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
DBMN
Follower
Follower

As a resident of Minnesota, is there any indication of how the new Arlo Pro camera will perform in very cold weather compared to the original Arlo.  Not an expert at reading battery stats and not sure if Netgear has done any real world testing in this regard.  A friend runs a number of the original cameras outside and they work but obviously go through batteries pretty quick.  Any chance the Pro will hold up a bit better in terms of cold weather battery performance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any chance the Pro will hold up a bit better in terms of cold weather battery performance?

TBMK,  In the real world, prob so close it won't make any difference. Be it Lithium primary or Li-ion rechargeables down around -20f the chemistry start to slow down... this lowers the amount of power you can draw from the cells.  Doesn't mean they are bad... just don't work as well when cold.

Think of your car battery ( lead-acid ) when below freezing, they loose about 50% power.

One thing to remember tho...DON'T charge the Li-ion cells when they are below 10f ... if they are cold, let them warm a bit before charging.

Cold temperatures will lower the discharge capacity of Lithium Ion laptop batteries (Co based), about 20% at -10C, when discharged at C/5 (i.e. normal) [1]. If the discharge rate is high (C vs C/5) then the low temperature capacity performance seriously collapses - by 50% and more - but only for the duration of the cold temperature operation. The reason for this is the temperature sensitivity of the electrolyte conductivity. Cold temperature discharge does not notably degrade the long term, cycle lifetime of the battery.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/effect-of-freezing-on-lithium-ion-batteries.345524/
Cold temperatures will lower the discharge capacity of Lithium Ion laptop batteries (Co based), about 20% at -10C, when discharged at C/5 (i.e. normal) [1]. If the discharge rate is high (C vs C/5) then the low temperature capacity performance seriously collapses - by 50% and more - but only for the duration of the cold temperature operation. The reason for this is the temperature sensitivity of the electrolyte conductivity. Cold temperature discharge does not notably degrade the long term, cycle lifetime of the battery.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/effect-of-freezing-on-lithium-ion-batteries.345524/
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any chance the Pro will hold up a bit better in terms of cold weather battery performance?

TBMK,  In the real world, prob so close it won't make any difference. Be it Lithium primary or Li-ion rechargeables down around -20f the chemistry start to slow down... this lowers the amount of power you can draw from the cells.  Doesn't mean they are bad... just don't work as well when cold.

Think of your car battery ( lead-acid ) when below freezing, they loose about 50% power.

One thing to remember tho...DON'T charge the Li-ion cells when they are below 10f ... if they are cold, let them warm a bit before charging.

Morse is faster than texting!
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I'm hoping for parity.  Though not as cold as Minnesota, I managed to get about four months on the disposable batteries through the past NH winter.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Operating temperature for Arlo Pro cameras is -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C). For more information, take a look at this article: Are Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras weatherproof?

JamesC

ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the new Arlo Pro camera - 
My cameras were all reading 99-100% - then the temperature hit about 30 degrees and that jumped down to 95%.  Since then it's been stable.  The cameras also give off the error - Charging Paused - Camera's battery temperature is too low. 

I didn't have the original camera - so I can't really compare the two. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The cold temp message should be gone, at least if you're using the latest Android app. The web site still has the message although you can clear it. Why the message is even there when the charger isn't connected is beyond me.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I still have the low temp message on the iOS app.

ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using IOS as well - I thought the error was odd. 
1. The temperature is within the stated operating parameters of the camera. 
2. Like you said it's not currently charging. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The issue is that you can't charge a cold battery. It has nothing to do with the operating parameters.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

jguerdat wrote:
The issue is that you can't charge a cold battery. It has nothing to do with the operating parameters.

That would be the issue, if we were indeed trying to charge the battery, but the message pops up purely based on the temperature.  There appears to be nothing in the code that checks to see if the camera is actually charging or just running on battery. (Or potentially whatever hardware semaphore is supposed to indicate the charging status is failing)   So it may not be related to "parameters", but it is related operating "conditions" ... and a message of "Charging Paused" SHOULD be related to whether or not the camera is actually being charged.

ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

What AncientGreek said is correct - the battery isn't connected to a charger. 

The camera isn't supposed to be hooked up to a charger in outdoor mode. This is a bad error message. 

1. I shouldn't be getting any temperature warnings when the camera is currently running within the stated tolerances. 

2. I shouldn't be getting warnings about charging issues when the camera is running off of battery power. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm fully aware of the fact that we're not charging and still get that message.  I was replying to the post about operating parameters, which I referred to.

I have an open case with support (do you?) about this.  The latest Android app seems to have fixed the issue by not having a message at all.  The web page still has it but at least allows you to dismiss it.  I've queried whether that will be fixed.  No idea about iOS but I expect that will be fixed soon since the Android one already has.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Got it.  Your first sentence led me to infer that you misunderstood the problem we were experiencing.  If you had left that off, it would have been more clear.

Good point on the open case.  Chatting here is not the same as opening a formal case that will be managed and tracked accordingly.  I will do that.  Everyone else should, too.

PapaB
Initiate
Initiate

I have just installed 2 of the Pro cameras within the last 2 weeks. It is -17C here this morning in Ontario and one camera is working, the other says it must warm up before using it. Had I known temperature was a factor I likely wouldn't have paid the big bucks for these to be wireless when they will be useless 3 months of the year in Canada. Anybody tried a heat trace wrapped around them?

AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PapaB wrote:

I have just installed 2 of the Pro cameras within the last 2 weeks. It is -17C here this morning in Ontario and one camera is working, the other says it must warm up before using it. Had I known temperature was a factor I likely wouldn't have paid the big bucks for these to be wireless when they will be useless 3 months of the year in Canada. Anybody tried a heat trace wrapped around them?

I just checked my Arlo Pro cameras and found the same message.  It is -4 F there.  The message is "Your cameras needs to warm up before you can use it."   The Arlo tech specs do clearly say the minimum operating temperature is 32.  I had hoped that was pessimistic, but it apparently is not!  indoor NestCams say the same thing, but work all winter since they are powered. 

If if you have access to a power source for heat tape (if that is what you mean by "trace"), you should use a powered camera that is rated for the extreme cold.  They have heaters built in.  The new outdoor NestCams are rated for -4F (-20C) which is still not great for those of us up north here.  Axis makes a new M20 line of cameras that is rated for -22F (-30C).  Once I get my Cat-6 pulled, I'll be switching to those.

im the meantime, I will be moving back to my standard Arlo cameras with non rechargable batteries,  they work fine in the cold temps.  I have them interspersed with Pro cameras currently and the older cameras are up and running while the Pros are too cold to operate.  Looks like the Pros will get moved indoors this week.

BellaMpls
Aspirant
Aspirant

Set-up my Arlo Wireless Today in MINNESOTA -  27 degrees outside.   Started 8 hours ago with 97% battery life -  NOW (SAME DAY) Indicating 17% Battery Life left.   My Salesguy said these batteries would last a year before changing.   (He had to been on crack!)   Great product but if EVERY Day I need new batteries, this is NUTS

AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

Neither are reasonable.  I get about four months out of my batteries...even at lower temperatures than 27.  A year seems completely far fetched.  That was a bogus promise.  Your performance means you have a problem with the camera, its location or how it is being used.

1. Make sure your camera has good signal from the base station.

2. How often is the camera activated?  If it sees a lot of motion or if you are viewing live video often, clearly that will drain the batteries.

If it has good signal and isn't overly active, it is either the batteries or the camera.  If the batteries came new with the camera, it seems likely they were fine, so I'd question the camera hardware.

ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

Something is either wrong with your camera or they are recording continuously. With cold Michigan weather my cameras are tracking to about 4 months. 

BellaMpls
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses.   I checked with my local store too.  Going back and exchanging it for a different one.   It is on motion-only recording so not conitnuous and they agree,  must be a hardware issue.  I am hoping a new model will correct the problem.   

Arloinwinnipeg
Initiate
Initiate
Brand new fully charged Arlo Pro. Cameras begin to fail at - 15 c in Winnipeg and completely fail at - 17. Won't turn on till they warm up.

Are there booties or warmers that can help. If not Arlo is pretty useless in Winnipeg which is predominately over - 15 with windchill for half the year
AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you read the specs, these are only rated for 32° Fahrenheit (0° Celsius, of course) on the low side, so you beat the spec.  

Like you, I also get better than promised cold weather performance, but as you point out, it isn't good enough for those of us who live in a cold climate.  I live in New England, so I may have it easier than you do, but it still gets plenty cold from time to time.  Outdoor cameras really need to work below 0° Fahrenheit to be truly useful for those of us living in the north.  But Arlo, is not that camera.

There are some cameras that operate at -4° F and lower.

ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo pro cameras are rated to -4F (-20C)

Citation - http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's (semi-)interesting to note that the original wireless cameras are rated down to 32F/0C but have worked well below where the Pros stop working (-4F). No idea what's up.

ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

My pro units have continued to work past -4, as expected the batteries drain at a higher rate though. 
That said the temperature hasn't stayed at those levels for more than a few days at a time this winter. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How low did it get?  That would be interesting info.