Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cold Weather Issue with Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

It got down in the lower 30's in WI this AM. Im getting this message on my Cameras...On the mobile App, i dont have the option of OK I got it....They are not charging or conected to any power. 

Capture.PNG

52 REPLIES 52
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

With the latest Android update (app version 2.2.2) this error message can now be dismissed to allow live viewing.

JamesC

Redpine
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC that's good news for Android users. I am an IOS user and would like a fix for the error message.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I think JamesC was communicating that iOS and Android mobile apps are now at parity in the way they handle the condition.  Previously the Android app was in worse shape.  That means the fix we all want is stil, in the works for both platforms.

diannenet
Star
Star

I am having the same issue!  I am on an iPhone 6S using the most recent software.  I get the same message on my iPad Air2.  The temperature outside is 38 degrees with NO wind.  Yes, I can dismiss the message but why am I even getting it?  I'm NOT charging the cameras and the batteries are not low.  I am really unhappy with all the issues I've had with this EXPENSIVE system.  Plus I had to figure out my own solution to my first issue.  Netgear was no help whatsoever.  But yet they used MY solution as the "solution."

I doubt I would recommend this system to anyone.  Really irritated that Best Buy only gives you 14 days to return it.  I haven't had it a month and am constantly having to troubleshoot something!

diannenet
Star
Star

I agree with you 100% !!!!!!!!!!

iGoldenEye
Star
Star
I'm having the same issue with one of my cameras, it's 42 out. What is going to happen when winter arrives? I'm beginning to question if this is worth the premium price tag.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I assume the temperature threshhold for for cesation of charging the rechargable batteries is a single number, so colder temperatures likely would not change anything with respect to this message.  I believe my cameras continue to work ok.  It is just an annoyance when I open the app.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's apparently being fixed. The Android app no longer shows the !message although the web does (and apparently the iOS app). Give it time.
plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

Weather is getting cold!

All my cameras (iOS) now show the 

"Charging Paused - Camer's battery temperature is too low" message.

I know a fix in progress.... but all my battery icons show a red empty battery with exclamation now.

Is this a real battery indicator showing that they are all dead, or erroneous?

image.jpg

Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
Same here got the same issue charging pause battery temp too low .
Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
Also I just realized that the cameras are not as responsive as when they are operating normal ,my arlo pro used to pick up motion way before my ring door bell now it's the opposite. Just this morning I pulled up To my drive way ring comes on twice arlo pro never detected motion .
TechyFred
Guide
Guide
Same here I received the cold weather warning on 2 camera's today. While I could dismiss the message, why even have it come up? My camera's aren't connected to any chargers.
AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

I submitted a case today on a recommendation from another community forum poster.  So far I am being asked to fetch rocks as they go through the usual troubleshooting scripts.  Once I have the obiligatory pile of rocks in my case file, I hope they send it up the ladder for the developers to actually fix.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Same thing here. However, stay with it and don't give up. Various tickets of mine eventually get escalated to higher levels of support. Provide details, don't take no for an answer.
AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
Same thing here. However, stay with it and don't give up. Various tickets of mine eventually get escalated to higher levels of support. Provide details, don't take no for an answer.

Thanks.  I've been battle tested also.  When I was on recent vacation in Italy, Netgear pushed out a firmware upgrade that knocked 6 of my 11 Arlo wireless cameras offline.  I submitted a case with all of the details including my being thousands of miles aways from home.  The first suggestion was that I open the battery case and if that doesn't work, bring the cameras close to the base unit and re-syncronized them.  My reply included "Did you even read my case submission?".  Ultimately it did take a re-syncronization 10 days later when I returned...which made it more obvious that they should NEVER push a firmward upgrade to customer equipment without customer approval on the timing.  I have no confidence that Netgear has any intention of changing their practice, so we are likely doomed to repeat this dangerous practice on critical security equipment.

Pharrcide
Initiate
Initiate

New Arlo Pro system with two cameras...  Temperature has been between 32 and 40 the last few nights and I have been getting the Charging Paused error message, but on an Iphone 6 I don't get an "Ok" button to move on.  Seems as though the cameras are disabled when this happens.  Last night there was a deer 10 feet from the camera and didn't record anything whilein this "Charging paused" mode.  Both cameras and base are runnnig the latest firmware.  Feeling a little buyers remorse Smiley Frustrated

iGoldenEye
Star
Star

My camera that is affected with the "charging paused" issue pushed a "motion alert" to my phone and instantly went offline today.  It didn't come back on for an hour. When it returned online the red triangle/exclamation was gone. Not sure what happened or if this is going to be a recurring issue. The base is about 10 feet away from the camera inside the house. 

AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

The red triangle indicates that a firmware upgrade is available.  An hour seems pretty long, but the updates do take a while.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Charging Paused message should have nothing to do with recording but only with the ability to use live view. I'd venture a guess that said deer walked too slowly to be detected by your sensitivity setting, just as a slow-moving person can avoid the motion detection.
Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
That's incorrect because I have tested it as well ,I have a camera in my driveway and it never detected movement while parking my vehicle. When the camera does not have the message displayed it usually picks up motion way before I turn to make it up my driveway . Camera was charged 100 percent that day and tried the test multiple times . So the message does interfere with motion somehow .
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue was addressed in the most recent firmware release, be sure you are running the latest base station firmware and you should no longer experience this issue.

JamesC

TechyFred
Guide
Guide

How do we know what the latest firmware is? Are there public release notes?

My base is currently on FW version 1.8.2.4_10232

JamesC wrote:

This issue was addressed in the most recent firmware release, be sure you are running the latest base station firmware and you should no longer experience this issue.

JamesC

AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can confirm that my Pro cameras appear to no longer have this cold weather problem.  My Pro camera firmware is now at 1.090.0.0_9945.

Related to this...yesterday is activated two more of my Pro cameras.  Both immediately required firmware updates.  I did the updates, but they were not reflected on the iOS app.  It kept saying there was a new version of firmware available.  When I'd repeated the update, it would respond to the button touch, but immediately come back to the beginning and say an update was available.   This happened on both cameras.  I decided to close the app by double clicking on the home button and flicking the app upward...and then I restarted it.  That fixed the problem and the app correctly reflected the cameras as being at the latest revision of the firmware.

I don't care for the way the firmware updates now appear to be forced on us by blocking the view of the camera with the upgrade message.  Perhaps that is the only way to get some people to respond to new versions, but it is extremely intrusive and again appears to show that Netgear is not adequately respectful of the need for users to control the timing of firmware upgrades on these critical security systems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TechyFred,

Release notes are available here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

JamesC

TechyFred
Guide
Guide

Thanks I wasn't aware of that. The release notes are very generic (i.e. bug fixes).. Any chance in the future where they can break down what features were fixed?

JamesC wrote:

TechyFred,

Release notes are available here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

JamesC