Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

It got down in the lower 30's in WI this AM. Im getting this message on my Cameras...On the mobile App, i dont have the option of OK I got it....They are not charging or conected to any power. 

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue was addressed in the most recent firmware release, be sure you are running the latest base station firmware and you should no longer experience this issue.

JamesC

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

Screenshot_20161022-053657.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the image as yet - needs to be approved.  What does it say?

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

"charging paused

Camera's battery

Tempture is too low"

With no option to view live or dismiss..

Its gone now that it has wamred up a bit.

But I am worried about this since its only fall.....

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

"charging paused

Camera's battery

Temperature is too low"

With no option to view live or dismiss..

Its gone now that it has wamred up a bit.

But I am worried about this since its only fall.....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Aha! From http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures:

Li ion batteries offer reasonably good charging performance at cooler temperatures and allow fast-charging in a temperature bandwidth of 5 to 45°C (41 to 113°F). Below 5°C, the charge current should be reduced, and no charging is permitted at freezing temperatures. During charge, the internal cell resistance causes a slight temperature rise that compensates for some of the cold. The internal resistance of all batteries rises when cold.

Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium can occur on the anode during a sub-freezing charge. This is permanent and cannot be removed with cycling. Batteries with lithium plating are more vulnerable to failure if exposed to vibration or other stressful conditions. Advanced chargers (Cadex) prevent charging Li-ion below freezing.

So, likely normal procedure. Good to know that it's a built-in protection.

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

See the thing is, you cannot get past that message within the app to view the live stream and im not sure if its the camera is even armed....

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

And the camera's arent even charging...So why the message??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, I'd think the message could be important but it should be possible to close it so you can at least use/view the camera.  I'd open a case with support (Contact Support link at the bottom here) so raise the issue.

Viperbird
Guide
Guide
Are you using Android, iOS, or the web browser to access the camera when the pausing charging message is displayed?
RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good point, it was on Android.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RWEED,

This is a known issue and we are working on a resolution. Keep in mind motion detection will continue to work if you see this message. Currently, this messaging can be dismissed on the iOS or the web client to allow live streaming. The Android client is the only app that currently blocks manual streaming with this message.

JamesC

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

It Would be nice if the message only appeared if you were actually trying to charge it. Otherwise anytime its cold this message will be displayed as opposed to the "Live" button.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just for reference, the web interface gives you the opportunity to clear the message, just not the (Android) app.  Guess how I found this out...

Redpine
Tutor
Tutor
I have the Arlo pro with two outdoor cameras installed for one week, I live in central New York and overnight temps are in the 30's I'm getting the same message 'charging paused camera battery
temperature too low'. What is the impact on functionality? Is there an eta on a fix?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm in Rochester so same issue.  As noted above, Netgear is aware and working on it.  No ETA.  Also, as noted above, no impact on normal operation, just on live view. Use of a browser is a workaround.

Usmcvet
Star
Star
I'm in Rochester NY as well and only 1 of 4 cameras has his issue????

Another workaround for Android is to go to settings for camera and choose the camera placement option.... It allows you to see live feed 😉
serghe
Guide
Guide
Anybody else noticed a drop in the percentage of the battery as soon as the temp dropped around 32 degrees? All 4 of mine dropped from 93-91 to around 80 in one night, if it keeps dropping like this every time the temp gets around 32 the battery will be drained in a week.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Coupla things:

- Cold weather affects any battery.  It could be that the battery readout on these batteries is more accurate.  Will be interesting to see if the battery recovers.  Of course, camera usage during times of cold may depelete the battery more than before.

- I've noticed that sometimes one camera will display the message but not the other.  Could be right on the threshold or something (furnace or dryer outlet?) nearby is raisng the temperature of the camera slightly above the threshold.

serghe
Guide
Guide

I agree that cold weather may affect the battery, but to drain around 10% in one night it's too much I think. That's a long way from the supposed 4-6 months that the batteries are supposed to last.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Without knowing more about how the battery reacts while installed in the camera, how the camera was used as well as how it works without recording, etc., it's all guessing. I may be inclined to agree with you but I wouldn't bet on anything.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

serghe wrote:

I agree that cold weather may affect the battery, but to drain around 10% in one night it's too much I think. That's a long way from the supposed 4-6 months that the batteries are supposed to last.

I checked my Pro and I didn't have the same experience with regard to battery life.  Mine held up fine after getting the same message.

It appears to me to be a coding error with the condition handler for the cold temperature sensor.  It is missing a test for whether or not the battery is actually on charge or not, before popping up the notification.

draku007
Star
Star

1 of my 3 cameras is getting the same message here in NJ. 

Usmcvet
Star
Star
Is there an ETA for fix? Kind of bad to release product right before winter and not fix ASAP
Spartanexecutve
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you JamesC. Any ballpark on ETC ?