Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Charging Arlo Pro with Power Bank. Making progress, need help

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
QuadT
Tutor
Tutor

I have been trying to figure out how to extend the Arlo Pro's battery life.  I made some progress, I need more ideas from you smart people

First, I'd like to get this out of the way: I don't want to invest in the Solar Panel because many users are reporting reliability issue.  I live in Seattle where sunlight is not ubundant, I'm not sure if the Solar Panel will help much

With that out of the way, I experimented with charging the camera with a power bank. 

Experiment 1:

I used the Anker Powercore+ to charge the camera.  Because it outputs 9v, the power bank is able to charge the camera... until its fully charged.  In the morning, I noticed the camera doesnt have the 'charging' icon in the iOS app anymore.  Its battery has been draining.  It appears the camera 'stopped' asking for more power so the Power Bank doesnt auto turn back on.  

Note that the Power Bank does auto turn on as soon as you plug the camera in its USB port

Experiment 2:

I took the battery out.  I left the camera connected to the Power Bank.  It seem to work for a few minutes.  I bring up the app and it see that the camera has been disconnected.  It appears when the camera is idle, its drawing too little power that the Power Bank turn itself off

Any idea?  

Does anyone know of any Quick Charge batter bank that stays on all the time or auto turn on at an interval?

Is there a way to reboot the camera so it trigger the power bank to turn itself on?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yr working outside the box... so you have to keep trying !

Does anyone know of any Quick Charge batter bank that stays on all the time or auto turn on at an interval?

Is there a way to reboot the camera so it trigger the power bank to turn itself on?

No...

No...

Not unless you go the route of hardwiring the camera into a larger battery...

and at that point since the Pros have a perfectly good usb port for power, I'd just supply ac

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
burakuysaler
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. Any progress ?

I ‘m in the same situation, using Xiaomi 20000 mah QC 3.0 powerbank and when cam fully charged powerbank goes to sleep. Tried removing battery and experience is the same as yours. May cam asks for power at a critical level ? Did you test this ? Not fully emptied the battery so could not tested yet...

regards. 

QuadT
Tutor
Tutor

You can buy these to keep your battery awake. Please report back how long your battery last

INVESCH 10 Pack USB Powered LED Night Light Portable Keychain USB Camping Lamp (3-led not dimming)