Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot set up camera used by previous owner?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MandP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot setup cameras. During setup my base station searches for but cannot find device.
Bought a home with previously installed cameras. Previous owner advises that he has closed his account and cannot “delete” the cameras associated with his account. How do I set up these cameras and sync them up with my system and the other devices I want to install? 

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming he deleted his account through the Arlo app, that should have also deleted all Arlo devices. Have you tried resetting the base by holding the reset button until the LED(s) start flashing amber? What are the LED(s) showing?

MandP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your reply!

Yes! I have reset the BS several times and followed Arlo’s instructions on doing so. 

BTW… Cameras have been charged and appear to want to pair with the base but the software for the base does not see them.

A thought… Does the base station thru router receive updates? Maybe it’s a firmware issue…. ?

MandP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Missed your question. LEDs show connection to WiFi but not to the devices 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Need a more specific answer to my question about the LEDs on the base. What are each one showing, including color? Which base do you have (look on the bottom sticker for VMBxxxx)?

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean

MandP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m sorry for the lack of specifics. Here is the sequence for boot up for my VMB4000

Left (L) led lights orange for about 2 minutes. No other lights lit during boot up.

Then right (R) led lights green.

At appr 2 minutes L turns solid green, middle (M) led the fast blink green.

At this time R turns solid orange.

After M stops blinking it turned solid green, the quickly flashes 5 or 6 times then solid green. This seems to happen every 10 seconds or so. 

While the M led is doing this L is solid green and R is solid orange.

Then pairing attempt thru the app (pushing the pairing button on top) says after this cycle “No Device Found”

Thank you for your help!

-Mike

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MandP wrote:

Then pairing attempt thru the app (pushing the pairing button on top) says after this cycle “No Device Found”

Have you also tried using a PC (browsing to my.arlo.com) instead of the app?

MandP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not. Will do so later today.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that the right LED is amber means the base has to be claimed first. The proper sequence is to claim the base and then connect cameras to it. It's not clear that the base is in your account yet - does it show up in Devices?

MandP
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base station does show up on other devices. In my attempt to open or connect with the base station using an iPad a password is required. I contacted the previous owner who does not recall the password. I thought that resetting the BS would give me a factory reset but it still requires a password…

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MandP wrote:

In my attempt to open or connect with the base station using an iPad a password is required. I contacted the previous owner who does not recall the password. I thought that resetting the BS would give me a factory reset but it still requires a password…

The base needs to be connected to your home network via ethernet.  The base wifi network is closed (only used by the cameras), so you can't connect to it.

Have you added the base to your Arlo account using the Arlo App (or alternatively browsing to my.arlo.com on a PC)?

MandP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried with PC twice. Tried after factory reset but to no avail. Tried to resolve with Arlo Chat but their system failed and ended the chat. I’m at rope’s end…

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have escalated this for you & someone from support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. I have provided your escalations number here: 43447257