Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't download videos anymore on PC

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ybl-arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been downloading videos from the Arlo cameras for the past 3 years almost. I have run into the issue about a dozen times where Arlo shows xxx number of videos but only downloads 80-98% of those using the Select All feature. This was pretty sporadic though. Now the site just crashes and I haven't been able to figure out why yet. 

I have used the same Windows 7 laptop for the past 3 yrs so no changes there. Chrome has been used since the beginning and none of the updates to chrome have caused an issue at all. I have used the laptop, IE 11, Edge, Chrome, and 2 different internet connections...all with the same results over the past week or so. I can log in, choose the date (typically only a week or two ago), choose Select All and hit download. it gets through about 25-30% of the videos, then the site hangs and it closes the internet browser.  

I tried the same thing on 2 different PC's, both using the same internet connections as the laptop and I get the same results.....25-30% of the videos downloaded and the site hangs, then the browser closes. I've reset the router/modem for both internet connections, cleared history/cache/cookies and site data, and still it only downloads a small amount. 

Downloading other files from other sites is not a problem in any way. I'm going to try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it to see if that makes a change at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
ybl-arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update - Uninstalled Chrome, restarted and installed Chrome again. Same thing. No changes at all. 

This morning I logged in to try and download the 645 videos our system recorded on Friday. It got through 541 of those and then crashed stating there wasn't enough memory. The system at the time of crash was using 5.9 GB of RAM with 8 GB of RAM in the system. Process was about 30%. 

No return call from Support and no response on the ticket I generated. 

Anyone have anything I can try? 

dcfox1
Master
Master

Assuming you you are "selecting all" for cloud recordings have you set up local storage? The recordings would then be on a USB stick or drive and you wouldn't need to download and you can view them when inserting the USB into your PC or transfer to a file from there.  645 recordings at once is a lot. 

ybl-arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

We did the USB drives in the beginning. Seemed every other one we tried would format okay and then go belly up in a couple of weeks. That and the amount we were recording just made it not a great option. We literally have somewhere between 600 and 1400 recordings 5 days a week depending on how busy the location is. Not to mention this set up is in a location that has a core group of folks but no one with any real sort of technical ability.  

I have moved on to a 5th system now. No Chrome but I did install Microsoft Edge. Still failing but nowhere near as fast as Chrome was. 

Is anyone aware of changes to the Arlo cloud platform or restrictions, or anything at all? It almost feels like a memory leak of some sort but I'd be REALLY hard pressed to say I have 5 systems with memory leaks. It feels like the issue is on Arlo's side more.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ybl-arlo wrote:

Is anyone aware of changes to the Arlo cloud platform or restrictions, or anything at all? It almost feels like a memory leak of some sort but I'd be REALLY hard pressed to say I have 5 systems with memory leaks. It feels like the issue is on Arlo's side more.

If you are trying to download 500+ videos in one go, then it is more likely the browser is running out of resources on the PC.  Note Chrome and Edge are closely related (they use the same Chromium open source as their basis).  And both are updated automatically every couple weeks.

Try selecting a smaller batch, and see if that works ok.  With a little trial and error, you can probably find a threshold where it starts to fail.

ybl-arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agreed. I've thought about the browser running out of resources. Then again, I've downloaded well over 1000 videos in a single go without the browser having any issues. Sure, there's some slowness and it almost seems like the browser will hang from time to time while it catches up. The nice things is downloading the videos is the only thing that specific system is doing so at least no other resources are being taken. 

I have done the small batch downloads before, it's just such a pain to go through. If I could click and drag over a batch of videos, that would make life much easier. Clicking on each individual video, then trying to remove the selection once those are downloaded to single click the next batch and hope I don't grab any duplicates since the page will reload at times, just makes it a very painstaking process. 

I will give that a shot though. I mean, I have to. I have to download these videos regardless of how long it takes. Might have to sit on the phone with support and hope I can actually talk to someone. It's just that it used to work and worked pretty well so if nothing on my side has changed that I'm aware of, has anything changed on their side? I just wish I had some answers.