Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't connect vmb4000 to a WiFi extender. Connected directly to internet router before. Tried reset.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Sundevil02000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have recently moved homes and having trouble connecting my VMB4000 to a wifi extender. In my old home i was connected directly to internet router. System (2 cameras) worked great.

In my new home my router is 5.0mhz or 5.4mhz, whichever it is it, and does not work well with ANY wifi electronic i have (doorbells, debot vac, arlo, etc). BUT, i also have a wifi extender. And my doorbell and debot both have connected seamlessly to the extender because it is 2.0 or 2.4mhz. i forget which. Im not a tech guy, if that isnt obvious by now.

So Ive tried everything. Resetting my base station. Deleting my old arlo base station account. Creating a new one. Plugged ethernet in directly to extender, all lights are green everywhere on extender and base station, looks great but nothing works! Nothing. I cant get the app to "find" my base station. Keeps searching for 10 mins. Never finds. Yes, my phone is on same wifi (extender band) as the arlo is connected to. But nothing connects.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sundevil02000
Aspirant
Aspirant
I finally got it working. Thanks for all your efforts. Not sure why the first 30 resets and power cycling didn't work, but the last one somehow did.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since your extender seems to be working and the base has all green LEDs, it's already connected to your original account. That's why it can't be found on your new account. You say you "reset" the system but many folks think that a power cycle is a reset (it isn't) or try pushing the reset button for too short a time (it takes 10 seconds or so before the LEDs flash amber, indicating a reset).

Log back into your original account to see if things are already there as you would normally expect. If not, we can direct you through a full reset process but first steps first.

Sundevil02000
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the reply. I am logged into my original account in the app, but i deleted my device in the app. Thus im trying to add a new device which the app keeps saying it cannot find. I have reset the device a dozen times..... Both power cycling and hitting and holding the reset button for 30-seconds+. Still the app cant locate the new device. Thanks for your help!
Sundevil02000
Aspirant
Aspirant
I say "new device" but it is really my original device. I see no devices listed in my app. Just the "add device"button
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When you pressed the reset button, did you make sure to go straight into the hole and feel the "click" when the button was pressed? It's possible that you missed the little switch. The fact that you have all 3 LEDs green means the system hasn't reset for whatever reason so can't be found again. If the above isn't the problem, use the Contact Support link at the bottom here for a hardware problem.

Sundevil02000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it clicked. I've done that 5-6 times in attempts to reset it. Has made no difference.  I do not have "all 3 LED's" green - only 2 of the 3. When I was saying all the lights were green i was referring to the correct lights that should be green both on the Arlo and my wifi extender. Apologies for the confusion there. Only 2 are lit on the arlo. 

Arlo support when I've contacted them has been worthless.  Absolutely worthless. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Then I assume that the 2 green LEDs are power and Internet - is that correct? Since the Internet LED is green, that means the base has access to the servers so the connection is fine. Have you tried both your phone app and a computer browser to see if you can claim the base? Remember that the phone has to be on your WiFi to be able to configure the base initially - cell service won't work.

Sundevil02000
Aspirant
Aspirant
I finally got it working. Thanks for all your efforts. Not sure why the first 30 resets and power cycling didn't work, but the last one somehow did.