Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I use a Qualcomm 3.0 compliant waterproof Solar power bank in lieu of Arlo Solar Panel?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ashdut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I use a Qualcom 3.0 compliant waterproof Solar power bank in lieu of Arlo Solar Panel? The advantages are it could buffer power backup, would charge itself and 1/3 the price of arlo solar panel.

This is what I am comparing with:

Solar Power Bank waterproof power bank 30000mah Type C powerbank PD Fast Charging Quick Charge 3.0 portable charger for xiaomi

Micro USB Input:DC 5V / 2A 9V / 2A  Max 
Type C Input:DC 5V / 2A 9V / 2A 12V / 1.5A Max 
Type C Output:DC 5V / 2A 9V / 2A 12V / 1.5A Max 
USB Output 1:DC 5V / 2.1A 9V/2A
USB Output 2:DC 5V /3A 9V / 2A 12V / 1.5A Max
Battery Type:Li-polymer Battery 
Battery Capacity:30000mAh /3.8V
Weight:About 550g
Size:About 176mm*90mm*30mm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) The issue is whether the battery will automatically supply power. I suspect you'd need to press a button on it to reactivate it.

2) Same thing - can the battery detect a change? I don't know that the camera somehow sends a signal to the port to alert a charging device - it just expects it to work (or not).

A possibility exists that the camera will use the fact that power is supplied to stream the whole time (which is how you get the 3 second look-back when on AC power) so the camera will keep drawing power from the battery. Testing would be needed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This looks quite workable. The one thing extra to consider is whether power output remains at low current draw, such as when not recording. Many batteries shut down if a minimum current draw isn't present.

Ashdut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Guru, that is quite encouraging.

On power bank going to sleep, good point and I am not sure.  I am xpecting one of the following:

Scenario 1: The powerbank charges Arlo Pro to about 100% and then Arlo Pro stops asking for power and powerbank goes to sleep. At some stage Arlo Pro will ask for power (eg charge is left around 15%) and this wakes up the powerbank to charge the arlo pro again.

Scenario 2:  Arlo pro uses only the battery bank for running the camera ( like connected to a power supply). It shows 100% charge and stays there. When the power bank depletes, the Arlo Pro goes to its own battery. Since the power bank is solar, it would have been getting charged simultaneously while being use by Arlo Pro, so this ( power bank depleting) could take a while to happen.  

Once depleted and Arlo goes to its own battery, the power bank will go on an off as it gets slightly charged and discharged by Arlo. At that stage I guess it would be best to recharge the bank using power and put it back in again. 

I hope I am thinking on the right lines, happy to be corrected

Cheers

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) The issue is whether the battery will automatically supply power. I suspect you'd need to press a button on it to reactivate it.

2) Same thing - can the battery detect a change? I don't know that the camera somehow sends a signal to the port to alert a charging device - it just expects it to work (or not).

A possibility exists that the camera will use the fact that power is supplied to stream the whole time (which is how you get the 3 second look-back when on AC power) so the camera will keep drawing power from the battery. Testing would be needed.

Ashdut
Aspirant
Aspirant
You are right. The power bank needing to press power button (or not) is the key issue.
I read more about this. Most power banks will need button to be pressed to save slow discharge current.
However there are few power banks with "always on" feature which is activated by a combination press on power buttons. But I am yet to find a cost effective one with QC 3.0, always on and solar charging capabilities. That would be eutopia.