Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I set up my cameras to record to a flash drive on my smart hub without internet?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Mvgadda
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I set up my cameras to record to a flash drive on my smart hub without internet

7 REPLIES 7
Dannybear
Master
Master
No, you need the internet for the base to communicate to the App and arlo server.
If you loose the internet at some point it will still record battery only cameras to the backup device but any externally powered cameras will not.
Mvgadda
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Dannybear,

I don’t have internet service at my location. I need a way to use my VMB3000 series base station with my Pro series battery operated cameras to record locally. I don’t have a need to view or control my cameras over the internet. If the cameras will record without internet service to a USB flash-drive inserted in my base station (if my systems was set up with internet service and subsequently looses  internet service), can’t I just set the cameras up to record to the USB flash-drive on my base station without internet service? 

Dannybear
Master
Master
I don’t believe that its possible to use the vmb3000 base in the way you’re intending, others here maybe able advise further.
Is the issue of no internet related to a lack of a service provider, have you considered cellular data options.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't record locally to a VMB3000 base station - you'd need at least a VMB4000 or higher. You can set the system up where Internet is available so it's working and then move the system to the location you need. Unfortunately, you can't safely remove the drive without Internet access so I guess I'd turn the base off, remove the drive for viewing on a computer (maybe copy everything to the computer), reinsert the drive and turn the base back on. You could also just pop the drive out without turning the base off but you risk damaging the file system so, when plugged into a computer, run a file system check to repair any such damage.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Setting aside local storage, the system is designed around the Arlo cloud.  If you don't want an internet-based service, you should look for an alternative vendor.  There are plenty of CCTV options that use a on-premise PC (or appliance), instead of a cloud.

TP1980
Tutor
Tutor

"Setting aside local storage, the system is designed around the Arlo cloud. If you don't want an internet-based service, you should look for an alternative vendor."

So instead of making a few minor changes to their products, Arlo prefers to send the customers to buy gear from competitors. I guess this really sums up the business model here. It's not like people are asking for the moon. And for the price of Arlo products, those should be granted (compared to some of the devices from other brands). Just my 2 cents.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TP1980 wrote:

So instead of making a few minor changes to their products, Arlo prefers to send the customers to buy gear from competitors. 

This is a user forum - I don't work for Arlo, and do not speak for them. (FWIW, no Arlo employees have replied to your post).

Their products have always required an internet connection to work properly.  If that's not acceptable to you, then you'll need to get something else.

If you are ok with the internet connection, but just don't want the videos stored in the cloud, then you can do that with newer cameras and smarthubs (which require a paid subscription to get cloud storage).  But older cameras (everything compatible with the VMB3000 base) come with 7-day cloud storage, and Arlo doesn't provide a way to disable that.