Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I move to the new TMobile Home Internet 5G my current VMB4000 system ?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Famrotor
Follower
Follower

I just bought the T-Mobile Internet Gateway service and never thought about the Arlo system !!  The best place to put the gateway is in a different room. Is there any solution for a "wireless" connection?  Now that I am tryin to solve I have also found different comments about low performance of the internet when using Arlo and the Tmobile Gateway. Thank you for your help !!

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Famrotor wrote:

I have also found different comments about low performance of the internet when using Arlo and the Tmobile Gateway. 

What have you seen?  

I tried it with a VMB5000 for a while, and didn't see any issues.  Of course internet speed will vary, depending on your coverage and how much load is on the T-Mobile towers in your area.  FWIW, I saw typical performance of about 30 mbits upload and about 100 mbits download.

@Famrotor wrote:

The best place to put the gateway is in a different room. Is there any solution for a "wireless" connection?  

I'd start with moving the base to the gateway, and see if that works ok.

If not, you have three options:

1. Run an ethernet cable (which might need an electrian).  
  2. purchase a pair of powerline ethernet adapters.
  3. deploy a wifi extender that has ethernet out.

Powerline performance can be a bit hit-or-miss, depending on your house wiring.  The extender should work reasonably well, though you might see some dropped connections. I'd probably get the extender first.  Note the gateway has WiFi 6, so you probably should look for a WiFi 6 extender.  (WiFi 5 will work, but WiFi 6 would probably give a little better performance, especially if you use connect to the extender with your other devices).