Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I assume the glare issue hasn't been addressed in the new Arlo Pro?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
meyekle
Guide
Guide

Has anything been done to address the glare issues, i.e. bright backround creating a dark foreground producing a dark image of a subject (which essentially renders the image useless).  Has there been anything like wide dynamic range built into Arlo Pro?

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

meyekle,

Can you provide a screenshot of the glare you are describing? This sounds like it could be an issue with the position of the camera. A screenshot may help in identifying the issue and proposing a solution.

JamesC

meyekle
Guide
Guide

Hi,

Actually it does have a lot to do with the location. I've tried placing the camera above the door (preferred)  but the glare from the light reflecting off the street and sidewalk creates the bright backround but dark foreground (can't see the subject's face).  I don't particularly care for the current location because, in most cases, I'm not able to record a clear shot of the subject's face (see youtube video clip)...not unless the subject looks directly at the camera. So I'm assuming that there is no type of backlighting control in the new model, correct?

Thanks,

Michael

RobTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, this is a huge problem. My camera by the front door is not in direct sunlight, but during the day the camera pretty much shows a black screen because it doesn't compensate properly from the lighting. Huge disappointment and I will likely have to return the entire system because of this issue.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you used the brightness control? Live view, click on the sun icon and adjust brightness. Be sure to save the setting.

RobTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, that does help, but as the lighting changes throughout the day it also changes how well the camera picks up surrounding. I would think he camera would dynamically adjust based on brightness, but apparently not. It doesn't make any sense for me to have to go into the app every few hours to adjust this setting, so when there is a triggered recording it's actually useable. If that's the case, then this is a very poor implementation of an "outdoor camera", since clearly this info an issue indoors.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pretty much any consumer camera will do the same thing, whether cell phone or DSLR. It's all how the exposure system is configured. Spot metering, center-weighted averaging, etc. all solve specific issues. averaging exposures are just a stab at the best possible. If you're a camera buff, remember Ansel Adams' Zone System or the generalization of expose for either the highlights or shadows and let the other take care of themselves. It's all about dynamic range and cheap sensors aren't great at that.