Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I Use A Non-Proprietary Charger For Arlo Pro?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
afeid
Star
Star

I was going to switch my 9 Arlo cams to Arlo pro so I could avoid having to swap out batteries every month. (2 activations per day for 1 year? RIIIGHT!). After I got the first replacement cam, I found out that they take proprietary chargers (even though they have a standard micro-usb slot), and also take proprietary SOLAR chargers. Does anyone know of a non-proprietary product that will charge these? If NOT, does anyone know of an equivalent camera that wasnt created by a greedy company intent on gouging consumers for every penny? And I say this because I bought a solar charger for one of the pros, which worked fine for 2 months, At this point the camera battery is almost dead, and I can't find the original charger that came with it. I REFUSE to spend any more money on proprietary products. I'd rather start from scratch with a new camera set (ARLO, are ya listening? After many years of using your products, and espousing their greatness to my friends/co-workers, you're driving me away because I dont see the sense in spending $1500 for cameras that also require $1200 in proprietary solar chargers that break after 2 months). 

1 REPLY 1
Streak2
Master Master
Master

The arlo chargers and cameras make use of Qualcomm's QC technology to make sure that the batteries will charge quickly and that you wont be inconvenienced by have to wait many hours for the battery to charge. This is the same technology used by Samsung, LG and others in their cell phones and chargers.

Just because it's a USB plug does not mean it's standard 5 volts. USB charging can be 5, 9, or 12v depending on the technology used. The cameras will run on almost any power supply of the right amperage but for the battery to charge it does need a power supply with the QC technology.

Like with all manufacturers they always recommend that you use the supplied power supplies etc. this does not mean that you can't use others they may just not perform as well and there may be warranty issues.