Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I Connect The Arlo Pro Directly To My WIFI Router?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Alex38r
Aspirant
Aspirant

New system, won’t connect to wifi via router. Changed port, still no green light.

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Alex38r wrote:

New system, won’t connect to wifi via router. Changed port, still no green light.

The cameras ONLY connect to the base units via wifi... the base requires an etherent port on you router

( the base sets up it's own wifi network for the cameras only )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Alex38r
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s the wifi connection that isn’t working.  Have plugged in Ethernet cables, base doesn’t find wifi

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base doesn't find WiFi - it simply uses the Ethernet connection and creates a dedicated WiFi connection to the cameras. To set up the system, your phone or computer has to be on the same network as your base - that is, it has to connect to your router. Maybe more details about what you're doing, what you've tried and what you see would help.

Alex38r
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I followed instructions in manual re plugging in cable from base to router and powering system. I get a green light for power, and after a couple of minutes no light for wifi, and yellow for camera - but that’s because none are synced yet. I have 2 phones, an iPad and a printer that all work fine on the wifi. I’ve switched cables around, and connected base to a LAN port that a smart tv works on. Tried plugging cable from base into the Router’s WAN Ethernet port as well ( not sure if that’s correct, but trying various configurations). No luck at all. And I’m sitting next to base, using my iPad on the wifi.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Until the Internet LED is green, nothing will work. Try pressing the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. Verify that the Internet lights up at all. If still no good, try a different Ethernet cable and port on he router. If still no good, try rebooting your router.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Do you have a modem/router combo device? Or a separate modem and separate router setup?

Either way, try plugging in the arlo base into your router lan ethernet port with the arlo base powered off. Next power off your router and then power off your modem. Then power on the modem and wait for it to connect to the internet, then power on your router and wait for it to initialize, then power on the arlo base. Internet led light on base should now light up.

Alex38r
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggested solutions. Either it’s my router or a defective hub, but none of th solutions or my fiddling resolved the problem. After enough frustration I’ve solved my issue - returned it to the store.  I’ll be checking out other brands with fewer problems posted by users. 

Thanks again to those who suggested fixes.