Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
SFMinNH
Initiate
Initiate

I have not yet purchased any Arlo system - still looking at the best product for our application need.  I am NOT impressed with the limited buying options - I hate Best Buy with a passion, and Amazon has no VMS4430 kits currently available.

I have a long house (house, breezeway, garage).  The distance between my wired router w/ Arlo base, and one of my desired camera locations is considerable.  I have a wifi extender (specifically the Amped REC10 600mW range extender), with a different security passcode than the primary router.  I am willing to upgrade the extender if needed.

Can an Arlo or Arlo Pro be connected via the extender?   If so, would it then send to the cloud, or be just a live-view option camera? I'm guessing however, it would NOT allow for recording in a USB device on the Pro base - is that correct?

I believe I've seen that a 1st gen Arlo can be added onto the Arlo Pro system - correct?  It would be nice to get more cameras at a lower price point.

6 REPLIES 6
Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

I need my wifi extender hooked up or I get a choppy video in my backyard. It does send to the cloud.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If your using the Arlo or Arlo Pro models, they MUST connect to a base unit.

While the base can be centrally located by using an extender ( with an ethernet port ) the cameras can not access an extender directly.

What might work for you is a Q camera that connects directly to your wifi at home and dircetly to an extender ( thru put at least 1MBs )

As to the bases and cameras...either camera will sync to either base and be functional ( Pro base offers siren and local usb record as backup )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

You may find that you do not need any sort of extender etc. I find the range on the Arlo and Arlo Pro cameras to be excellent tbh! In my environment the exceed y WiFi range by at least triple the distance.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

Chillmiester wrote:

I need my wifi extender hooked up or I get a choppy video in my backyard. It does send to the cloud.

With this solution it was not mentioned that the Base Station has to be connected to the extender itself. It is not the extender that sends to the cloud but the Base Station. All the extender actually does is to allow you to relocate your Base Station, it does not extend the range of the Base Station but allows you to place it in a more suitable position.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
SFMinNH
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you - I hadn't even thought of simply putting the Arlo base onto the wifi extender itself, in a more central location.  

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

SFMinNH wrote:

Thank you - I hadn't even thought of simply putting the Arlo base onto the wifi extender itself, in a more central location.  

Smiley Happy It is the only thing you can do as the cameras must connect to it. They cannot connect to WiFi directly. I can see Netgear releasing some sort of extender at some stage or perhaps just allow the cameras to connect to WiFi directly.