Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras won't connect to Base Station after wifi turned on/off. Need to unplug.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RosUK
Follower
Follower

Model is VMS4230 - Arlo Pro (not on dropdown list)

I've had this system for almost two years - I have two cameras installed, one front and one rear of the house.  Lately, I've needed to unplug my wifi router overnight. The next morning, I have real difficulty getting my cameras to reconnect with the base station - I have pressed the 'reset' button briefly on the base unit, and then tried to view the cameras on the app.  If I click on 'play' on the video picture, the front camera refuses to connect at all, and just has the whirry symbol next to 'connecting' - but it never connects. The rear camera will eventually connect, display the picture and send movement notifications.

I'm going to be switching off my wifi overnight for a few weeks - what should I do to make sure that my cameras reconnect more easily? And is there something else I need to do with the front camera to troubleshoot why it won't connect at all?

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Turning off your WiFi is a better idea than turning off the  whole router, which kills the Arlo connection. Check your router setup screens - many routers allow you to schedule WiFi on/off times.

As for the cameras (or system) reconnecting, the above should help but that doesn't really explain the issue. Briefly pressing the reset button does nothing - it takes a >10 second press to do anything. Unfortunately, that would make you have to set up your whole system again so don't do that unless that's what you need to do. Instead, I would power cycle the base itself to see if that helps. Not unplugging your router is certainly the best idea, though.