Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
timlah79
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is driving me up the wall. I have 4 cameras - 2 Arlo Pro and 2 Arlo Pro2. I have a single, custom mode that has 2 motion trigger rules:

• Rule #1: If camera A detects motion, record on cameras A, B, and C, send app notification and email alerts
  • Rule #2: If camera B detects motion, record on cameras B, C, and D, send notification and email alerts

NOTE: Camera's C and D are only there to record based on motion triggers from A or B

Note I am also using a schedule and AFAIK, according to the base station status, the above custom mode is what is enabled right now via Schedule.

Issues (there are two):

1. Camera's C and D are triggering motion events (all 4 cameras in fact)
  2. Only the camera(s) triggering motion detection are actually recording video (ironically the ones I have set NOT trigger motion). In other words, the > Record video on non-motion trigger cameras is NOT working for any of the "Then do the following" cameras in these steps 

What I've tried:

• Ensured all device firmware is up to date
  • Hard reset base station
  • Re-synced all cameras
  • Completely deleted modes and recreated them
  • Completely deleted entire schedule and re-added
  • Deleted any activity zones from the cameras not set to trigger motion events
  • Ensured Android App is up to date
  • Cleared Android App cache

Anyone familiar with either of these issues or what the heck is going on here?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have a solution to propose.  But I thinking you should try removing either camera C or D from the current rules.  Then see if you still get motion recordings for the camera(s) that aren't cross-triggered. 

Also I am wondering if you are using activity zones on cameras A and B.  If you are, then the cross trigger might still happen when activity is out of the zone.

If your base supports backup storage, then you might considering adding some storage.  That will often show some recordings that didn't get to the cloud - which can be helpful in figuring out what's going on.

timlah79
Aspirant
Aspirant

I really appreciate the response but I don't think it's helping me figure out either of the issues.

"you should try removing either camera C or D from the current rules.  Then see if you still get motion recordings for the camera(s) that aren't cross-triggered. "

• Already tried that. Still get those. It's as if "sometimes" the system doesn't care what rules I even have, it just triggers motion on C and/or D

"Also I am wondering if you are using activity zones on cameras A and B.  If you are, then the cross trigger might still happen when activity is out of the zone."

• Yes of course I am using activity zones on A and B.  Why in the heck would other non-trigger cameras trigger anything, regardless of what I have set? Is this a known, as designed behavior?

"If your base supports backup storage, then you might considering adding some storage.  That will often show some recordings that didn't get to the cloud - which can be helpful in figuring out what's going on."

• I pay for Arlo Smart and there's no indication of a storage problem ("locally" or otherwise). If there were I would expect based on me paying for that subscription that I'd get notified in some way.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@timlah79 wrote:

• Yes of course I am using activity zones on A and B.  Why in the heck would other non-trigger cameras trigger anything, regardless of what I have set? Is this a known, as designed behavior?

When your cameras are battery powered, then whenever motion is detected the video is sent to the cloud for analysis.  The cloud then determines if the motion is in the zone, and then it suppresses notifications and recordings if it is not.

If A and B are on battery power, then it is quite possible that they are triggering C and D when the motion A and B detect is out of the zone.  Though I have tested it, I believe it is quite likely that Arlo wouldn't want to delay the cross-trigger by waiting for the cloud analysis.

You could test this theory by either temporarily disabling the activity zones on A and B, or by looking at the local recordings.  The local recordings would include the out-of-zone events from A & B, so you could see if recordings from C and D were then triggered.

timlah79
Aspirant
Aspirant

"If A and B are on battery power, then it is quite possible that they are triggering C and D when the motion A and B detect is out of the zone. "

That is NOT an expected behavior I'm aware of. If it is, please show me official documentation about this "failover" you're speaking to.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@timlah79 wrote:

That is NOT an expected behavior I'm aware of. 

Why so angry?  I said I thought it might be happening.  

It's a theory you can easily test.  Just delete the activity zones for a bit and see if A or B always record when C and D do.