Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera not catching hit and run driver!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

More of a vent then anything else. Have had 3 Pro camera's in front of my house for a year or so and have only really caught dogs using our lawn as a bathroom, raccoon's and minor things like that. The one camera pointing towards the driveway and street has the sensitivity turned down a little so I don't catch every car driving down the street.

Sure enough I was on vacation the other day and my daughter calls us to say that her car parked in front of our house was crashed into by a hit and run driver during the night. I quickly pulled up the camera footage on my phone and found that the camera's hadn't caught anything. The one and only time I really needed it and nothing! 

I've since turned the sensitivity back up but now I'm catching everyone driving by again. Wish there was happy medium with these camera's! An Arlo video would certainly have helped in finding who did it. 

7 REPLIES 7
brh
Master
Master

@Drake3287

Sorry to hear about you daughters misfortune. Is there any way you can readjust the camera so that it only reaches the edge of your property and not the street? Possibly lower the angle or mount it at more of an angle to the street so it doesn't catch the motion of all the cars going by? That is what I did.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sorry to hear about the hit and run driver.

The way I use my cameras is with a schedule where during the day, the sensitivity is a bit lower to not capture every passing car but at night, the mode has all the same rules but higher sensitivities. This gives me pretty good coverage. The camera pointing at the street/pavement is on a solar panel so recharges each day. It needs this otherwise I'd be taking the camera down every few days to recharge.

It's probably little consolation but when it's dark, licence plates aren't very readable, even with the 1080 resolution of the Arlo Pro 2

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Your right about it not catching license plates but at least I'd have a pretty good discription of the car. In the middle of the night it was most likely a neighbor coming home drunk.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yeah, I guess you'll be able to get make and model but you can't even get what color it is. Still a LOT better than nothing and you'd definitely be able to tell if it was your neighbor 

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Our car had white transfer paint left on it so we know at least it was a white car that hit it, not a lot of help though. My worry is if I reposition the camera's to catch every car driving by will Arlo put an end to my free video recording because of having to many recordings. Is there some type of MB or GB limit to our recordings? I know they only hold them available for 7 days but it's the amount of recordings I have that worrry me about being dropped by Arlo.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A storage size has been listed in the subscription entries but hasn't been used in years. I have well over my "limit" with no issues.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, I'm sure I have also. At some point I'm sure things will change, to much money to be made by Arlo!