Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera detection has slowed down

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Slowjon
Tutor
Tutor
I tried search but didn’t find anything that matched my issue. I’ve had the Arlo pro for several years now. Never had any real issues until about a month ago.

Prior to that, my cameras would pick up movement relatively quickly. Never had an issue knowing someone or something had tripped the cameras.

Now, they are super slow to activate on motion. There have been several times where someone has been in and out of a coverage area and either not set off the cameras or we catch just the very tail end of them leaving.

This is strange to me as I have not moved my camera locations at all.

Could it be a worn system, internet problems or the new update (legacy)that Arlo came out with?

I’m extremely frustrated since this hadn’t been an issue for several years.

Any thoughts or ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Slowjon wrote:

Could it be a worn system, internet problems or the new update (legacy)that Arlo came out with?

It can't be the app - it's not involved in motion detection or recording.  If it were, your cameras wouldn't work at all when your phone is off.

What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

Slowjon
Tutor
Tutor
Haven’t really tried anything yet. Nothing has changed on my system or placement. They just all of a sudden slowed down with motion detection.

I could move them to another location but that wouldn’t explain the slowdown.
Any suggestions?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Slowjon wrote:
 Nothing has changed on my system or placement. They just all of a sudden slowed down with motion detection.

Try the motion detection test, and see if adjusting the motion threshold upwards solves it.

If it does, you'll need to apply the new threshold in the rules - the threshold in the test is just for experimenting, it's not applied to the actual recording trigger.

ksss11
Luminary
Luminary

I feel your pain. The May (I think) update really slowed down the trigger on all of my cameras. We have removed them all, added them, etc. and even now, 85-90% of the time the cameras do not catch any object. We can just hear the car that is already out of view by the time cams start recording. This issue has been raised several times and yet they haven't fixed it. We have had our system since June 2017 and loved it. Now it bites to have to focus 3 cameras onto end of driveway just to hopefully catch what went by, which leaves other points not covered now.

Slowjon
Tutor
Tutor
I’ll play around with that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.