Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
asugolfer1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I just purchased my Arlo Pro security cameras (4) for home security for my house.  While I really like the cameras one thing that I'm struggling with is where best to place them for home security on my house.   A little bit about my house:

2 story home that is square in shape

Have a front door and back door with windows on front + back + 1 side of the home

Have a side door into the garage that is on the same side as windows

If anyone has any thoughts or would like to share how they placed their cameras that would be helpful.  Questions I have:

1)Can anyone share the placement that they use for their house?

2) Should I point the cameras at the home/doors or mount them on the home looking away?

3) Should I just focus on having all 4 cameras outside or is it recommended to have any inside?  I'd consider buying another one too.  I have the cameras inside now for testing but hate getting the constant alerts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Look at your home for the easiest places to break in...large rear sliders, back doors, windows hidden by bushes/trees..

As a rule my outside cameras are placed to cover same ( like my double french door on rear deck ) I placed them away a bit from the door to cover door and deck area... you location may depend on what you have for mounting

*Speaking of mounting, try and do temp mounts to make sure you like where it covers and/or it works good there before permanent.

Don't forget to temp place the cameras where you THINK you may want them and then check the signal levels for each camera to make sure you have enough range from the base ( range can vary due to building materials, walls, etc. )

I have some outside and some inside to supplement my normal home security system.... as to inside , that decision is up to you

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Look at your home for the easiest places to break in...large rear sliders, back doors, windows hidden by bushes/trees..

As a rule my outside cameras are placed to cover same ( like my double french door on rear deck ) I placed them away a bit from the door to cover door and deck area... you location may depend on what you have for mounting

*Speaking of mounting, try and do temp mounts to make sure you like where it covers and/or it works good there before permanent.

Don't forget to temp place the cameras where you THINK you may want them and then check the signal levels for each camera to make sure you have enough range from the base ( range can vary due to building materials, walls, etc. )

I have some outside and some inside to supplement my normal home security system.... as to inside , that decision is up to you

asugolfer1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response that is helpful.  One question that I'm still struggling is whether to place the cameras facing the house or facing away from the house.  Any thoughts there?  Like my front door, should I just place it above the door to see anyone coming?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The field of view is pretty good for a small camera, I think I would mount the PRO cam off to the side a bit, covering the door and some of the walkway if angled.

Post a pic of the front , it would help

Also tho the sense level of the Pro is good, it detects motion across the view better then directly to the camera

asugolfer1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sure id love to get some advice on camera placement with some pics. Attached is a pic of the front and back of my house. Would love to hear thoughts on best placement and angling of cameras
IMG_0446.JPG
asugolfer1
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_0447.JPG

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Keep in mind these cameras have a very wide field of vision.  I have one mounted in the corner above my garage door (under the top eave of my home) that can see my entire driveway, front lawn, and anyone who would walk anywhere near my front door.  I also have one near my front door so I can detect anyone at the door as well as one in the back corner of my home that covers my entire backyard.  I also have 1 on each side of the house, facing towards the point of entry so if anyone comes walking up next to my house on either side they would be detected.  It's also important to try to position the camera where someone walks accross the field of view as arlo is more senstive to that motion then a camera that's facing directly at someone as they walk towards it.  I also utilized position test and tweaked each camera's motion sensitivity until I was fairly confident you'd have to be a ninja to get onto my property without being seen by one of my 5 cameras and my ring video doorbell.  Testing is key, I located my base in the central part of my home and all my cameras get a solid signal without issue.  Single story home, however, your results may vary.  Also, place the cameras high enough off the ground where they can't just be reached easily, and don't limit yourself to the house itself.  arlo is weatherproof.  Sometimes, the camera placement can be fun, my neighbor has one mounted in his tree. You'd never look there and it actually faces his house so he can see the entire front of the house.  Get creative, but keep it within 300 foot (+/-) of the base.  These camera's are very flexible. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

original.jpg

You have two choices here for a camera I see... One up at the door above light ( if light doesn't effect it ) or where marked

I like ( where I placed mine is similar ), using an ARLO camera ( which has a slower response then the PRO ) the placement at the end of roof line, facing towards the door... as the subject walks under the recording starts and you should get a very good view while at the door and walking away. Also sort of hides the camera from plain view  during the walk up to door AND puts it out of normal reach. Esp if you can color match the camera to the home side ( I spray painted mine to match colors )

Just make sure the record time is enough , not at the 10 sec default.

dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor

Based on the picture below, where is a good placement for the camera? I don't want to it too low for someone to be able to just grab the camera by hand and run off!, I don't want it too high in case the field of view is not able to capture good images (with this, I would be looking at peoples top forehead which I really don't want to!), Any suggestions?

20170414_154618370_iOS.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'd like to see what's on the right side.
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor
What do you mean?
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Widen the view so we can see the whole porch area.
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor
Heres the view:
IMG_2900.JPG
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor
Heres the view from the left...the camera is above the light.
IMG_2899.JPG
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That helps but what are you trying to capture? It looks like you're getting the car(s) rather than the entryway. You may need two cameras to get both. For the entryway a camera near the right post could help. It may be difficult to get them coming in but it could trigger on the way in so you get a good look on the way out.

As for a bit of can start security, you can use a screw-in type of mount which would make it more difficult to grab and go. With a little extra work, a tether can be added to slow them down even more.
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor
Do you have an example of the tether?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not just offhand but a search here should get you some clues.  You'd basically want a strong but flexible cable that can be screwed into the camera, perhaps in conjunction with the screw mount from a permanent camera mount, and screw the other end to the house.  The cable could have a loop that the mount screw goes through or a 1/4"-20 screw afixed to the end (the camera has a standard 1/4-20 socket).

dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor
I really like to mount a camera facing out from the front door but it looks like its not possible in my scenario unless Something or someone comes up with a workaround to have it securely permanently mount so it doesnt get stolen.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The screw-in mounts are as close as you're going​to get. And remember that no camera or mount is truly undefeatable.
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor

Give me a few days to setup all this, I will post pictures and outcomes.