Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera Fails to Record Video

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
HopperPilot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Intermittently, my camera fails to record video. Most of the time it works, but sometimes it doesn't. What is particularly odd is that sometimes my camera will detect motion, but no video appears in the library. I know this because I have an IFTTT even that is triggered by my camera's motion detection and I can see the IFTTT event appear in my smart hub, yet no video appears for that time in my video library.

Has anyone else seen this situation?

10 REPLIES 10
Dannybear
Master
Master
I observed this same issue a few hours ago on a pro2 with external power. It captured two recordings but ignored the subsequent motion events their after.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I observed this same issue a few hours ago on a pro2 with external power. It captured two recordings but ignored the subsequent motion events their after.

edit: I did a motion utility test and no motion sensor working, reset base and camera no improvement. Removing external power allows motion utility to work correctly. This points to the basic activity zones stopped working on the arlo server backend. Guess will have to wait until arlo fixes.
HopperPilot
Aspirant
Aspirant

In my case, intermittently, I see the motion events, but there are no associated recordings.

Dannybear
Master
Master
How is the wifi signal quality for the camera.

Do you use smart notifications at all.
HopperPilot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @Dannybear. My WiFi signal strength has three bars, and the video bandwidth on the Camera Positioning page indicates "Strong."

Dannybear
Master
Master
I would suggest you contact arlo support, look in the arlo app settings page for support options.
HopperPilot
Aspirant
Aspirant
@Dannybear, I have contacted support, which was an incredibly convoluted process!

I’m beginning to think that my IFTTT applet, which has an Arlo-supplied trigger, might have something to do with this problem.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HopperPilot wrote:

What is particularly odd is that sometimes my camera will detect motion, but no video appears in the library.

Are you using activity zones with the camera?

Notifications and recordings will be supressed by the Arlo Cloud if motion is outside the zone.  But it's conceivable that IFTTT will still get the alert.

HopperPilot
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB, I am using an activity zone, but there is no way the car that should have tripped motion detection/video recording could avoid my zone.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HopperPilot wrote:

I am using an activity zone, but there is no way the car that should have tripped motion detection/video recording could avoid my zone.

Activity zones do seem to misbehave sometimes, so I would suggest removing the zone as a test.