Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brand new Arlo Pro won't work further than 6 inches from base

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
siriheinrichs
Aspirant
Aspirant

We received our brand new Arlo Pro (2 wire-free HD cameras) and followed all step by step instructions to set it up.  Inserted the battery.  Downloaded the app.  Connected base station to internet.  Synced cameras with base station.  Everything worked great.  Then moved cameras to potential location, which was literally across the room with no physical barriers, and the camera lost signal.  Basically no matter what we do, it appears the cameras will not receive a signal if they are more than several INCHES away from the base.  When they do work they seem to be good quality and features are good.  But after two days of trying to figure this out, we're about ready to ship them back and try another brand.  Please someone help?!?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
siriheinrichs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, after hours of frustration and hours on the phone with Arlo and Comcast support, it was finally suggested that I return the cameras.  I sent them back to Amazon and had a new set in about two days.  I found it interesting that the new set was in completely different packaging.  And, they worked right out of the box.  Thank GOD because that was so time consuming and annoying.  I guess we got a defective set.  They are working great now and I returned the Blink system as I didn't think the quality of the video was as nice as Arlo.

Thanks for trying to help... glad I didn't give up completely!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Move your base station a few feet further away from your wifi router

siriheinrichs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried that already. No dice.

brh
Master
Master

@siriheinrichs

What is the signal strength showing for each camera in your app? My cameras work twenty to 30 feet away from the base unit through walls, doors and windows, so your situation is not normal. There are many electronic devices that can interfere with the signal, such as microwaves, gaming consoles and even Google Chromecast. There are some modem/router combinations that may cause problems. Be sure to be on the 2.4 Ghz band with your router.

At first glance it appears there is some interference going on between the base unit and the cameras. I doubt if going to another manufacturer's brand would solve that. Try moving the cameras to other rooms and even outside to see if there are areas where they work well. Once we determine where they work and don't work we can start the process of elimination.

Brian

Streak2
Master Master
Master

First try and power cycle your base and if that does not work try and do a factory reset after removing the cameras in the app.

For good measure do a battery pull on each camera as well.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Are you able to temporarily turn off your 2.4GHz network?

siriheinrichs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried that.  Didn't work.

siriheinrichs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have tried all suggestions.  Nothing works except having the camera right next to the base.  Cannot control my router and honestly it should not be this hard.

Have ordered a Blink device - will be here tomorrow.  Will try harder if that doesn't work, but if it does, Arlo is getting shipped back.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Bugger. I can only think you might have a faulty base station.
Hope you got the Blink XT. Blink have a really good returns policy. I know of a few dozen people that returned ones bought 12 months ago due to the removal of the smartthings integration when Amazon bought Blink

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Might be interference issue.. Might not be yours but your neighbors.. 

siriheinrichs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes we did get the Blink XT.  Worked great out of the box.  However, I actually prefer the quality of the Arlo as well as the ability to talk to (I can only hear on Blink, can't talk back).  Would still like to see what I can do to get Arlo working.  Guess this weekend I can try to call customer service when I have more time.  Also didn't realize there was an Arlo Pro 2.  Wonder if the "2" is better, I have to do more research.  Frustrating as I thought this would be easy...

Thanks for all the help so far.  Additional suggestions are welcomed!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

siriheinrichs,

I was able to look up your support case and it seems this issue has been resolved. Please let us know if you experience any further issues.

JamesC

siriheinrichs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, after hours of frustration and hours on the phone with Arlo and Comcast support, it was finally suggested that I return the cameras.  I sent them back to Amazon and had a new set in about two days.  I found it interesting that the new set was in completely different packaging.  And, they worked right out of the box.  Thank GOD because that was so time consuming and annoying.  I guess we got a defective set.  They are working great now and I returned the Blink system as I didn't think the quality of the video was as nice as Arlo.

Thanks for trying to help... glad I didn't give up completely!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

siriheinrichs,

Glad to hear, and I apologize for the frustrating start. Please let us know here on the community if you need any help in the future.

JamesC