Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Blocked Phone Number Interfering with App Download

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
75H
Aspirant
Aspirant

To update Arlo app yesterday, I uninstalled the app, restarted my Galaxy Note 8 Android and re-downloaded the app from Google play.  The download was interrupted and stopped at 70% by a spam caller (213-639-6511) that I'd previously blocked from my phone.  213 is a nearby, but different area code than my phone.  Restarted phone, re-downloaded app, same thing happened but at a different percentage.  3rd time also.  4th time was successful.  Ran Malwarebytes & Norton scans, no issues.  Everything functioning properly, no issues.

Coincidence, or did (213) 639-6511 somehow 'know' that I was downloading the Arlo app?  This has not happened with other apps or upon other restarts.

This morning I called Verizon and got a CSR that was totally blank on what I was describing and after 20 minutes of talking to other CSR's told me Verizon sells Arlo cameras and gave me a phone number for Arlo.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Phone calls and Internet access are mutually exclusive on recent phone (older Verizon phones couldn't use both at the same time). Unless you have CDMA access only there's no reason one would cause the other to fail. It's a coincidence that no one can explain reasonably.

75H
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for that! Updated (12-13-19) app continues to be buggy on my Android, via cellular or wifi. Older version works great on wife's IOS. Examples, on opening app, mode tab slow to display or won't, rec'd a pop-up message saying library not loading and they're working on it, etc.

About ready to grab another Android device or call a friend to see how their's is working with update.

In trying to figure out the slowness, I notice new app installed with all permissions "off" by default.....normal?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yeah, I'm seeing apps not automatically granting permissions on installation but asking for permission when accessin a feature that needs approval.