Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
dsq
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my cameras just shows black video. I just set it up yesterday and all was fine. 

I access the video in Safari and Chrome. My wife can see on her phone video on three of the cameras and the fouth is black. 

I downloaded the video as suggested and it is still black.

I turned of night vision. It's still black. At first it was 6 am and dark but now it's daylight and still black video on the one camera.

I turned the camera off and then on and still just a black screen.

16 REPLIES 16
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Most playback problems seem to be flash related...give Fire Fox a try... it seems to work most of the time

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While usually true, this one is camera/firmware related. It requires removing the camera from Settings and resyncing. Support is aware.

TechyFred
Guide
Guide

I had a similar issue, the recording was total black even when going to "live mode"

The camera came back on it's own after a few hours.

I will contact support this week to put in a ticket, I hope it doesn't happen again.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Camera was working fine for 2 days.

Yes now mine is also mostly black.  I can see some details in the brightest parts only.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

See above.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Fortunately I didn't have to romove the camera from my threaded mount 13 feet up to re sync.

The camera did start working again after about 20 minutes but it's not a good sign if it happens when you need it.

The original arlo never had this problem.

TechyFred
Guide
Guide

Mine was working but went black again. This is the 2nd occurance.. I've contacted support and waiting to see the next steps.

My camera is mounted12 ft up on the garage and cannot simply remove and re-sync anytime I want.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I hear you.

I'll wait to see what they tell you about the issue.

One thing you may want to try is inverting the image and then back again.It may have helped mine get the video back.

Thanks,

Dave

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dsq, TechyFred

Does removing the camera and then adding it back (through resyncing) resolve the issue?

Settings > My Devices > select the affected Arlo Pro > Remove Device. Go back through the sync process after the affected Arlo Pro has been removed.

JamesC

SENC
Aspirant
Aspirant

It resolved it for me, briefly, but the issue returned.

Turning the camera of and on via the software does nothing.

In my case the new arlo pro cameras (x2) were added to an existing arlo base station with 2 non-pro wireless cameras.  Both pros have darkness issues, both originals are clear.  One placed in the same location where a non-pro had previously been located (same mount) so I am confident it isnt a location/ambient light issue.  FYI, the motion sensor does still work - I just get almost black videos - and the same on live view.

I plan to reset with a newer arlo pro base station next weekend in hopes the issue is mixing pro and no-pro cameras on a non-pro base station.  Any chance that could be the cause of this very frustrating issue?

TechyFred
Guide
Guide

I worked with support and going through the sync process I found out that the camera had a older fimware version.

Updated to the newer firmware and I'll continue to mointor it. No black screens noticed for the past two days on that camera. My other camera is fine and I just added a 3rd so I'll continue to monitor them for any issues.

EdSanchez
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my Arlo pro cameras suddenly went dark. I have removed it and re-synced to no avail. The firmware is the same on all of my cameras ( 4 ).

It will take a live snap shot on the video settings.

How can I resolve this issue?

Thank You

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

EdSanchez,

Does this only happen when live streaming? Are recordings also dark? Consider rebooting your base station and test again. Do you get the same results?

JamesC

EdSanchez
Aspirant
Aspirant
I rebooted the base and resynced the camera to no avail.

Everything is dark except the video settings camera shot.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

EdSanchez,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

EdSanchez
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think that's my only option.

Disappointing!!

Thank you!!