Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best Angles and Distances

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
KingTitus
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Arlo Community!

I have 2 Arlo Pro's on the front of our house.  1 on the north end and 1 on the south end.  The north end camera faces south and vice versa for the other.  We have a great full view of the front of the house.  Both cameras are at the same height about 10 feet up, the same distance from the edge of the house and both have the same downward and L/R angle.

What I want to happen is any car that drives by and any person that walks by trigger a recording.  However, I cannot get both to act consistent.  Sometimes the north, sometimes the south and sometimes both will trigger and record.  I would rather not create a bunch of rules for A to trigger B and so forth.  The sidewalk is about 20 feet and the street about 25.  I do notice that the bigger the vehicle or the slower someone walks makes a difference if both record.

I have read what I could find on "best practices" but it pretty much general information.  I spoke with Arlo customer service who recommended the cameras only be 7' off the ground (more parellel to movement) but then anyone run up and smash or damage it. We did only have one on the front porch 90 degrees to street and road and it wasnt catching anything.  The mailmain would almost be on the porch before it would record.  I did read a thread that 90 degrees to anticipated movement is not recommended.  We have had two burglaries in 6 months, one pre-Arlo and the second post-Arlo.  I am trying to get the most coverage and consistency.  The only downside is I don't have any place to put the cameras except for on the front of the house.

Am I asking too much of the cameras?    What are the best "sweet spots"?  Any other ideas, tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you asking to much is the key question...

The arlo cams are good for people out to 20ft and 25 ft for the Pro ...so your on the border of good response to start with.

(Cars can be pick up farther away as they are biggger reflaectors of IR )

So as to "tricks"... don't cover any aea more than 20 ft away,,, limit your coverage to the detection range.

Make the traffic move across the field of view instead of straight on ...

Adjust the sense level for best response without a lot of false triggers will tak a littler trial and error

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
KingTitus
Tutor
Tutor

@TomMac, Thanks for the reply!

I am going to play around with the front a little more, It was working pretty good a couple months ago but now it doesn't pick much up.  I agree that I am a little over the edge of the effective range.  Maybe I get one more and put it in the tree at the sidewalk?  We were going to pick one more up to put on the back of our shed to cover the alley behind our house anyways so why not get a couple....