Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Vito8
Aspirant
Aspirant
My system is up at my vacation house and the internet goes off From time to time. It's back on because my wifi thermostat is working. Since it asked to upgrade my firmware, it won't seem to go back on. I'm 4 hours away so I can't just go there to check it out. Any way of resetting the base station????
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only chance you have is if the Restart button is visible in Settings, My Devices, your base.  If not, physical presence will be needed.

We've taken to recommending some extra items for remote locations to help fly through some issues, although Internet access outages can't easily be handled unless you have a router that supports a 3G/4G failover and you're willing to set that up.  Generally, use a UPS/battery backup for your modem, router and base so power outages won't be an issue except for very long ones.  Also, a remote control switch such as a WeMo is useful for the base so a non-responsive base can be power cycled as long as the Internet is working.  Won't help you right now but should be useful in the future.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only chance you have is if the Restart button is visible in Settings, My Devices, your base.  If not, physical presence will be needed.

We've taken to recommending some extra items for remote locations to help fly through some issues, although Internet access outages can't easily be handled unless you have a router that supports a 3G/4G failover and you're willing to set that up.  Generally, use a UPS/battery backup for your modem, router and base so power outages won't be an issue except for very long ones.  Also, a remote control switch such as a WeMo is useful for the base so a non-responsive base can be power cycled as long as the Internet is working.  Won't help you right now but should be useful in the future.

Vito8
Aspirant
Aspirant
The restart button is not visible. Well, it's visible but it won't allow me to touch it. I thank you for your input. It's been very informative. I think I will go with either the USP/battery backup or WeMo. I hate not being able to see my cameras. Good thing I'm going up next weekend. Thanks again. I really do appreciate your assistance.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd go with BOTH the UPS and WeMo.  The UPS just keeps things running but you can't force a power cycle on the base unless you get an expensive UPS with remote control.

Rmsmith727
Initiate
Initiate
My system has said off line for 2 days now. I can't find a real answer in here that tells me what to do. I have restarted it on the base station like 3 times, I've unplugged everything and even in plugged my wifi router and it's working fine. I don't understand, I even took on of the cameras down and plugged it in to charge the battery even though it wasn't dead.... please help this is infuriating...
828Kerr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did the UPS buy you much time? I'm thinking after 24hrs w/o power you'll be right back were you started..Correct me if I'm wrong but if you loose power you'll loose your Arlo pro system. RIGHT?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Rmsmith, what LEDs are lit and what color?

828Kerr, you can spend a fortune on a UPS. I spent $100 and it should last for hours. However, any battery will deplete regardless of the capacity so you can only plan on the likely scenarios, not a 10 day outage. If you're going to do that, you also need a backup generator.