Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station not found

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

I had new internet equipment installed. Since then I'm not able to use my Arlo VM4000. I removed all devices and then went to Add Device. The long search comes up Device not found.

Did a restart - same thing. Did a factory reset - same thing. Turn off/on - same thing. Disconnected Ethernet/reconnected - same thing.  Sync'd all three cameras to base. Nothing works.

The three lights on top of the base are on but the center one will be on then start blinking for a short time then steady, then blink, steady. No lights on the front are on.

How do I get my base station  back on line?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

The back of my router has 5 jacks - 1 labeled internet and 4 for ethernet connections.

The internet jack cable is connected to my desktop.

I'm glad it's working.

The step I quoted above matters - you definitely want all your devices connected to the local connections, and not the WAN one labeled "internet".

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

The three lights on top of the base are on but the center one will be on then start blinking for a short time then steady, then blink, steady.

Green?  Or yellow?

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

I'm using VMB 4000 base with Pro cameras. It's an old system. I have Spectrum for my ISP and my internet speed is Capture.JPG

The lights on top are yellow. Power and camera light steady yellow. Internet light will be stedy for a few seconds then start flickering then steady again. Repeats that process continually.  I'm at wits end trying to get this system back on line.  The six lights on the front (3 on left 3 on right) are not lit. Here's what I've done so far.

I've reset my base - no help. I did a factory reset - no help. I turned off/on the base - no help. I've disconnected/reconnected the ethernet cable - no help.

I contacted my ISP and explained that my ARLO base cannot be found. They did a check and reset. No help.

I then reset my modem/router - still no help.

Searched for installation info thinking I could uninstall/reinstall. Nope. Says go to arlo.netgear.com - doesn't exist.

I don't know what else I can do other than uninstall and throw away everything.

Don't know if I missed something or not. Open to any suggestions

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

P.S. I do have internet and WiFi access.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the internet light on the base yellow?  Or is it green?

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Al lights on the top of the base are yellow - middle light is steady than starts flickering, steady, flickering, etc., etc. When I use my computer or phone I have internet and WiFi and my modem and router show both connected and working. Just don't know why when I open My ARLO the page that opens says "Add New Device" then I scroll down and click on Base Station/Hub; next window says add ethernet cable to base station or Smart Hub, (cable is already connected), then Power Base Station or Smart Hub on, and, when I click on Continue the next window says Looking For Your ARLO Device. After about 4-5 minutes, it says Device not found.

What else you need?

I'm about to uninstall and put in recycle bin.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

Al lights on the top of the base until are yellow - middle light is steady than starts flickering, steady, flickering, etc., etc.

If the internet (middle) LED is yellow, then there is either something wrong with the router's ethernet port or with the base.

Try connecting the ethernet cable to a different ethernet socket in the router.

@Khone wrote:

When I use my computer or phone I have internet and WiFi and my modem and router show both connected and working.

Is the computer also connected with ethernet?

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

My modem is hardwired from the source. The router is connected to the modem via ethernet cable. My computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable.

On the back of the router there are 4 ethernet jacks. 1 is connected to my desktop. 2. is connected to my ARLO base.

When I log in to my ARLO account, the page asking me to connect a new device comes up. I click on that, connect the ethernet cable, plug in the power jack and the next window says Searching For ARLO devices.  Lights on top come on - power green, camera(s) green, internet green then blinks then steady, blinks, steady, blinks. After about 5 minutes or so, "Can't Be Found".

I know my internet is good as I'm using my desktop to respond to you and I know my WiFi is working because I'm streaming ROKU and You Tube TV and plain You Tube and using my wireless printer with it. The problem has to be ARLO. If I can't get the system back to working, tell me how to reinstall because my next step is uninstall. If I can't reinstall, I'm throwing it all in recycle.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

When I log in to my ARLO account, the page asking me to connect a new device comes up. I click on that, connect the ethernet cable, plug in the power jack and the next window says Searching For ARLO devices.  Lights on top come on - power green, camera(s) green, internet green then blinks then steady, blinks, steady, blinks. 

Ok.  You said the internet LED was yellow earlier, which makes a big difference.

Have you tried a reset of the base (using a paper clip)?

Also, if you are using "add device" on your mobile device, try again using the PC (my.arlo.com).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

Al lights on the top of the base are yellow - middle light is steady than starts flickering, steady, flickering, etc.,

The Power LED needs to be green, not amber (yellow). That would seem to imply a power issue, perhaps with the power supply itself or possibly the base itself. Use a voltmeter to read the voltage at the power supply plug (the connector that plugs into the base) - it should be 12 volts DC.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

I don't have a power meter. Not worth it to buy something that I'll use one 

I'm just going to get rid of it all. Tired of wasting my time and the community's time.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks again for your interest and responses.

I apologize for the misunderstanding on the colors. I said yellow because that's what they looked like but I was wrong - they are green.

I've pushed the reset using a paperclip. Nothing happens - lights stay on w/internet blinking.

Everything I've tried using my desktop and phone app - always the same.

I'm tired of messing with it. Just gonna  put it all in recycle.

Thanks for your help and time.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

I've pushed the reset using a paperclip. Nothing happens - lights stay on w/internet blinking.

If you want to give it one more try, then I suggest holding the reset longer.  If the LEDs didn't change, then either the reset switch isn't working, or you didn't hold it down long enough.

Arlo says to hold it for 10 seconds.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

I decided to try something.

The back of my router has 5 jacks - 1 labeled internet and 4 for ethernet connections.

The internet jack cable is connected to my desktop. I unplugged it on the router and plugged it in to the 1st ethernet jack and took the ethernet cable connected to my base and plugged it into the internet slot then went to Add A Device. After about half a minute got the alert "you are not connected to the internet".

Also, on the reset. It doesn't work. When I push it and hold it for about 20 seconds, nothing happens. The lights on the top of the base remain lit.

So, the exercise I mentioned above and the reset doing nothing tells me my base is no good.

Time to dump the system.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Guess what! After posting my last comment, my device was found and I'm now back on line. No idea what happened.

Thank you for your help and time.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Now, how do I enable email  alerts when movement detected

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

The internet jack cable is connected to my desktop.

I'm glad it's working.

The step I quoted above matters - you definitely want all your devices connected to the local connections, and not the WAN one labeled "internet".

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for you help. Really appreciate it.