Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station loses internet connection every 5 minutes before recovering. Showing amber.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
TheThirdPage
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo has been working fine, over my VDSL broadband connection. Hardwired to a switch in to an Unifi USG router.

Unfortunately my broadband has been down a week now so I’ve purchased a Huawei B535 4G router. Currently using a Smarty SIM which uses the 3 network.

The 4G router is connected to LAN2 on my UniFi, so no other network changes were required. The Arlo base is wired as before. All other network devices are working great, including Ring, Nest, Alexa etc.

Periodically the Arlo base will lose internet connection - middle light goes amber. After 30 seconds it recovers itself and returns to green. 5 minutes later it does it again, and then again and again, every 5 minutes or so. When amber I cannot ‘see’ the Arlo devices via the iOS app.

Has anyone also had this issue?  My best guess is that Arlo must ‘phone home’ and some issue with the Smarty/3 network must prevent it getting there occasionally. 

6 REPLIES 6
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi TheThirdPage,

If you're seeing the amber LED light on the Internet section going on your Base Station, it means that it's trying to connect to your router but doesn't have an Internet connection. 

Try power cycling your Base Station to see if that helps. To power cycle your base station, unplug the power adapter from the outlet, wait two minutes, and reconnect the power adapter to the outlet. The base station takes one to two minutes to start. When the power LED and Internet LED light solid green, your base station is connected to the Internet.

You can troubleshoot more here if power cycling doesn't help: My Arlo SmartHub or base station is offline; how can I troubleshoot it?

TheThirdPage
Aspirant
Aspirant
Didn’t help I’m afraid. I can only assume that it’s a Three network thing causing an incompatibility with how Arlo phones home.

Everything else appears to be working without issue.

Hopefully my main internet will be up soon. It’s been down 7 days now. Thanks BT!
SStones
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

Did you manage to get anywhere with this? I have the same router, on the same provider (Smarty), and the connection seems to keep dropping.

TheThirdPage
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

Yes, and no!

I didn't get anywhere with Arlo support however my ISP (A&A) offer a L2TP VPN as part of their service. This offers a VPN to their network in order to give a fixed IP address and bypass any CGNAT, port blocks and other such stuff. After setting this up on the router Arlo has been rock solid since.

If I dump my home connection (which is likely as it's sill broken after 3 weeks and unreliable when working) then A&A does offer their L2TP service for £10/month. Not ideal, but a working solution.

SStones
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. I will check that out in case it helps! Thanks again!

SoniaAllison
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, thank you very much.