Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary
Can arlo pro camera sense motion through a window screen ? Does the heat sensor work through the screen. I mean to keep a window open and put the camera in the window sill. Can it still sense motion at the regular range or would it be not as sensitive to people walking by ? Thanks. Much appreciat any help with this. We have a special situation in an HOA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary

from netgear support regardin this question 

Thank you for contacting NETGEAR Arlo Email Support. 

We understand that you want to verify if Arlo cameras can detect motion behind your window screen. 

Based on the details you provided, I would say they should still detect motion. The Arlo wire-free HD (or Pro) cameras' motion sensors are designed to detect heat signatures from their subjects. So as long as there is no glass division between a camera and its subjects, motion-detection should still work within the following range: 

• 15 feet (for Arlo wire-free HD cameras) 
• 25 feet (for Arlo Pro wire-free cameras) 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Glass blocks IR detection. You would need an Arlo Q camera to work through glass at this point in time. Make sure that any camera pointed at glass has the night vision IR illuminators turned off though as they will reflect brightly when the light is low.

To work properly, you'll need to put your Arlo Pro outside 

ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary

thanks for your reply steve. my question was will it work throught a window screen. not through glass. i tried with a ring doorbell and it works throught the window screen. both use passive infrared so i am assuming arlo will also work this way, has anyone tried this? we live in a pretty dry climate and so we can keep the windwo open most days wihtout rain coming in and the screen prevnets insects from getting in. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Working through the screen should work but don't forget that the screen material may well block or absorb some of the IR needed for detection.

ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary

yes i was thinking maybe the same thing. i was wondering if anyone has ever tried this and if it still worked as well as without a screen.  someone had posted they were using the camera through an enclosed porch and it worked but i am not sure if this is the same thing. we are in an hoa so have limited options and a specific case. thanks 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Oh right. Sorry, my bad. Totally didn't realise you were talking about an insect screen. Give it a go and let us know how it goes

ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary

from netgear support regardin this question 

Thank you for contacting NETGEAR Arlo Email Support. 

We understand that you want to verify if Arlo cameras can detect motion behind your window screen. 

Based on the details you provided, I would say they should still detect motion. The Arlo wire-free HD (or Pro) cameras' motion sensors are designed to detect heat signatures from their subjects. So as long as there is no glass division between a camera and its subjects, motion-detection should still work within the following range: 

• 15 feet (for Arlo wire-free HD cameras) 
• 25 feet (for Arlo Pro wire-free cameras)