Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Gatorphin72
Initiate
Initiate
I've been using my system for months with no issues. In the past week my system has switched to disarm mode unexpectedly. I haven't made any changes nor do I use a scheduled mode.
24 REPLIES 24
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary

Gatorphin72 wrote:
I've been using my system for months with no issues. In the past week my system has switched to disarm mode unexpectedly. I haven't made any changes nor do I use a scheduled mode.

That is strange. Only thing I can think for you to check is... Does anyone else have access to your modes another user, or perhaps a shared tablet. Do you have any home automation that has access such as SmartThings, IFTTT, Stringify that could possibly be running. I had something similar but I tracked it down to one of my Stringify flows I forgot I was running.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In addition to above....

Arm the cameras using the ARMED mode, go to live view and confirm the 'running man' over each camera is black. ( armed )

Also if above is ok, do a power button reboot of the BASE unit .

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

By black I assume you mean white with a black, not gray, outline on the Devices screen? When I go to a Live view, the outline goes gray.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes ...when armed properly the running men are black in outline....if gray they are not armed and will not record........but do not start the live view...just go to that screen to check the status

if u start a live view it over rides the arm command as u are in manual control, they will turn gray

Base on the info the mode yr using somehow is wrong....Use the remove device command for each cam not working and bring back as if new ( resync)....

this will rebuild the armed command 

Morse is faster than texting!
Gatorphin72
Initiate
Initiate
Just got home and of course it is disarmed. When you say base station reboot do you mean unplug for a minute then replug?
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary

Gatorphin72 wrote:
Just got home and of course it is disarmed. When you say base station reboot do you mean unplug for a minute then replug?

That should do the trick. 

Alch
Tutor
Tutor

I have similar experience as well.  I went through one month without any issue.  Then, suddenly the system disarmed on its own and I was using schedule mode.  For some reasons, the schedule mode changed the setting and I did not touch anything.  

So, I reset everything.  A week later, it disarmed on its own again!  Then, I hit Schedule mode to see if there is anything wrong and I can't see any setup issues.  Then, the system is armed again. 

Is this software issue?  Or, something else? 

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
There is currently a known issue with modes on the Pro base station. They are all messed up and have a mind of their own. This has been going on for over a month but not everyone has been affected, but Netgear know about it.

Apparently there is a firmware update to fix this due to be sent out automatically over the "air" today (21st June 2018) which is said to fix the problem with modes, schedules and some other issues.

Your base station should automatically update on its own as long as it is powered on and on the network.

Fingers crossed it fixes everything.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New Base station firmware has been released that should help resolve the issue being discussed here. Check your base station firmware to be sure you are up to date with the latest available version.

Take a look here for more information on this firmware: Firmware Release Scheduled 6/21 to Address IR Rapid Battery Drain and Modes and Schedules Issues

JamesC

mattsigman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware and it appears the problem with the mode automatically switching to disarmed still exists.  In fact, I set it to a custom mode 90 minutes ago and it already switched back to disarmed on its own.

Are you aware that the latest firmware did not fix the issue?  Anything else I can do to help debug?

mattsigman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I have found a way to reproduce the change in Arlo mode reliably! I have SmartThings connected to Arlo through the Arlo (Connect) SmartApp. If I open up the smart app settings in SmartThings, the mode in Arlo instantly switches to Disarmed if I add or remove a camera in the Arlo (Connect) SmartApp.  Note that it has switched to Disarmed in Arlo during times that I have not accessed either the Arlo app or the SmartThings app so I suspect this is only one of at least two ways to trigger the undesired mode change.  

And yes, I double checked that I am on the latest firmware.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Tom:
The Arlo native “armed” mode doesn’t necessarily work for all available cameras. In some cases, Arlo app’s armed mode does not include all cameras as it should.. Users should take a look at rules included in the mode, in some cases, not all cameras are listed as part of the arming rule.
It’s happening with my system and I’m sure there are more affected. I get around it by adding a new mode (can call it anything but armed......like ALL ON) and iclude rules for all cameras needed to be armed. Alternatively, since the disarmed mode won’t work either (probably for same reason) I added a mode for ALL OFF with no rules included in order to disarm all cameras.
Of course, the new mode can be used manually or included in a schedule.
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
I was told by @DawnM that the native "Armed" mode used to be an editable mode that the user could edit to include which cameras they like.

However she said they removed this editable option and it should now actually include ALL cameras.

This is totally incorrect.

I have Arlo Q and an original Arlo base station too and on both of them you can edit the native Armed mode so it works. However I also have Arlo Pro base station too and on that the native Armed mode is NOT editable, nor does it work.

If I try to click on the edit button for the native "Armed" on the Arlo Pro base station I am taken to the page where you should be able to edit or add rules, but mine is totally blank. There is just nothing there, it says rules but under it there is nothing nor any way to add anything.

Therefore my native Armed mode does absolutely nothing at all. When I "arm" my system with the native Armed mode I can walk in front of any of my cameras and none of them record.

Therefore the native Armed mode for me doesn't work.

They need to give us back the option to edit that mode like we used to be able to, then rules can be added again.

Needless to say I don't use the Armed mode and use an alternative mode I manually created.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

To users experiencing any problems with “armed” or “disarmed” modes, I would suggest to stop using them. Check your armed mode for included cameras/rules and most likely you’ll find some or all cameras are missing. Just add custom modes to replace them. I am sure a fix for this will eventually be released, but until then, custom ON-OFF modes will be necessary.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I am still able to edit the "Native Armed " mode using a Windows 10 PC and my android phone, I'm not sure if the "native armed" mode changes after I edit as I haven't checked as I use my own custom modes 98% of the time on a schedule. My problem is the recording to set time no longer works and the motion detection has deteriorated. I now have mine set to 100% and they miss lots of activity and don't record for the set amount of time since the May update.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@mattsigman

I have arlo connected thru smartthings as well, using the smartthings classic app and the Arlo connect smartapp. I am not seeing the behavior you describe. I use the native Armed mode when away and a custom mode when home. No issue of it switching on its own, or with changes in smartthings app changing modes. I am also using the Arlo Pilot smart app to have smartthings change the Arlo mode based on event. Works perfect. Maybe give it a try and it may resolve your mode switching issues.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-arlopilot-enhanced-arlo-system-integration/117581

mattsigman
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is very strange.  I thought I had reproducible steps but now it isn't messing up my Arlo mode when I save a change (like inverting an image or setting motion sensitivity on the device) in SmartThings.

Through chat support with Arlo, they walked me through:

* uninstall app on my phone

* reboot phone

* reinstall app on my phone

* login on my phone

* turn off Arlo hub for 2 minutes

* turn on Arlo hub

* don't touch smartthings app for 2 days

Not sure if any of that had anything to do with it but whatever...seems to be fine for now.  Will report back if I see another issue.

And thanks for the tip on Arlo Pilot...I will check it out.

mattsigman
Aspirant
Aspirant

And to be clear since the thread took a tangential turn:  I wasn't using the armed and disarmed modes on purpose.  Something was setting the mode to disarmed from the custom mode.  

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Not every system is affected the same way, it just seems to usually revolve around the native armed and disarmed modes causing problems.

Ajmmmr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.   I have been having this issue for a while.   My firmware shows 1.10.0.8_22190.  I have three modes setup, Night, Workday and Armed - No Notifications.   During the day (Workday and Armed-No Notifications) we do not have any issues.  It seems the Night mode changes from Armed to Disarmed.  I checked at 11:30 PM and it was armed.  Went to bed, woke up around 2 AM to check, and it shows Disarmed.   This seems to have started when I started to use the Arlo Smart Premiere.   Before switching to Smart Premiere, I did not have any issues.   At the same time I set up a Arlo Q for the inside of our home.   Maybe its a coincidence or maybe there is another problem.   I erased all of my modes and set it up again.  Same issue.   I have been using Arlo for over a year and this is the first time we have had this problem.   It has been going on for about three weeks.   Can someone please help!   We have had some car burgularies in our neighborhood and would hate to have something happen to our cars and we cant caputre the event.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What exactly is your Night schedule? I find it works best when it stops at 11:59PM (don't worry, it's active for the whole 11:59PM minute) and starts at 12:00AM. You may also want to use a browser to set this up - I find it works better.

Ajmmmr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, that is how I have my night schedule set. 10 pm to 11:59. Then 12:00 am until whenever. I have used my phone to set the schedule in the past with no issues. I would think there is something else going on.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Others, myself included, have noted issues when setting the schedule using the app. This is a relatively recent development. Try the browser method to see if it helps. You can use a mobile browser if you wish by using the browser menu to use the desktop version of the Arlo site.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes, definitely use a browser for schedules setup or changes. Both, android and iOS apps, don’t usually show the true system status. Even when “disarmed” shows as current status, it’s not necessarily correct. In my case, I have checked multiple times, system is indeed armed as it should be according to active schedule. It’s a display problem in the app, not so when you look at it in a browser.

Funny thing, with two base stations, one always shows correct status, unlike the other.