Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Bigvic
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm confused as to whether or not a solar panel is coming out for Arlo pro?  There seem to be one coming out for the Arlo go, but it's vague on the Pro version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

serghe,

We will know more about the availability of the Solar Panel accessory and which device it will be compatible with closer to the release in early 2017.

For now, it has been suggested that the solar panel will be made available for the Arlo Pro. See here for more details: How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

I will escalate this topic to attempt to get more clarity on which products the Solar Panel will be made available to.

JamesC

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Not likely. Accessing the charging port on the Arlo Pro cameras makes them susceptible to water and moisture.

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary

They have stated in their own documentation that a solar panel for the Pro will be available in early 2017.  I sure hope they dont backpedal on this.  I went with Arlo over a competing product which already offers this option due to I thought Arlo was a better product.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-use-the-Arlo-Solar-Panel/ta-p/1152212

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree with Arlo Man that it's not likely.

I have been told numerous times that using the USB port for exterior will void my warranty since it's not a waterproof connection.

Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

They could technically create a new adapter that had it's own waterproofing around it so when it was plugged in it still kept a tight seal.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

They could. Like a silicone rubber boot that seals against the body of the camera.

The problem there is that there would be little to no room for a threaded connection for mounting.

As it is, they put both connections way too close together and you can't use the stock thumb lock because it will hit the adapter cord.

I needed to replace with a 1/4"-20 nut and even that is close.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I have one of my camera's mounted outside (under an eve of the house) and have a 15 foot micro USB cord powering it. Extremely easy to water proof it and adjusting the threaded mounting bolt to still work was also easy.

As for water proofing, all they need is a rubber boot around the male end of the power cord. I was also under the impression that Arlo was coming out with a solar panel for the Pro. Somewhere I even have an email reply from them about it. They stated the first part of next year.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary
Bigvic
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for all the responses.

serghe
Guide
Guide

Just read that only Arlo GO will "Offer solar charging using a separate solar panel" Smiley Sad. I bought Arlo Pro with this solar panel in mind, and now they tell us that is not going to happen.

PRO vs. GO

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I haven't seen anywhere that is definitelt won't happen. That was just my guess.

You may be able to find a solar panel with a micro usb cord or use the Ring Solar Panel with some short female to male adapter and then just seal the connection.

Should work fine I would think.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

serghe,

We will know more about the availability of the Solar Panel accessory and which device it will be compatible with closer to the release in early 2017.

For now, it has been suggested that the solar panel will be made available for the Arlo Pro. See here for more details: How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

I will escalate this topic to attempt to get more clarity on which products the Solar Panel will be made available to.

JamesC

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks James. Many of us purchased these Pro models based on a solar panel being available and advertised by Netgear. 

TechyFred
Guide
Guide

I think they can do it.. All it has to be is water resistant like some cellphones who already have the USB exposed (think Samsung Galaxy / Iphone 7).

Hoping they thought of this already during the design of the PRO and that the solar panel accessory is available by spring time 2017..

Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

The phones are built to have water resistance without a port seal however. The Arlo Pro cams were not built that way, that's why they have a rubber plug.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Can't speak for any other cameras but the Samsung S5 has a plug for the USB port.
ckdxxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

DaveWoj wrote:

I haven't seen anywhere that is definitelt won't happen. That was just my guess.

You may be able to find a solar panel with a micro usb cord or use the Ring Solar Panel with some short female to male adapter and then just seal the connection.

Should work fine I would think.

Just for the sake of trivia... I actually tried out the Ring Solar Panel with an Arlo Pro a few weeks back and it did not work. It wasn't a surprise- the specs for the panel do not meet the requirements for the camera, but a lethal combination of curiosity and free time took hold of me and I gave it a whirl anyway.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

It's just that the above link says IT WILL happen. Time will tell.....

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's unfortunate.

The only thing I can think of why it didn't work is because it didn't have enough power to charge the battery.

The Arlo battery is probably a higher voltage than the Ring.

I seems like there would have to be alternatives out there for the solar panel since there are many outdoor lights out there that are charged that way.

Here is an example

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nature-Power-Black-Outdoor-Solar-Powered-Motion-Activated-60-LED-Security...

I had a set of LED spotlights that were charged by a solar panel. The cord had a DC plug on the end.

If you can find something like that, they make a DC to micro USB adapter.

Maybe someone here could tell you what solar panel would work in order to charge the battery.

I believe it needs 9v and needs to charge a 2440 mah battery.

ckdxxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drake3287 wrote:

It's just that the above link says IT WILL happen. Time will tell.....

To be clear, I am referring to the solar panel manufactured by Ring that was mentioned earlier, not the forthcoming Arlo-branded panel.

mroj2162
Aspirant
Aspirant
And now ours 2017 and I'm still waiting for you to bring out the dang solar panel and trust me is early 2017 haven't even seen a picture or any actual sign of them actually selling them
leaf001
Tutor
Tutor

It's March 30th....any updates?  Not investing in the Arlo Pro without a solar option.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Can't wait for this, damn I'm gonna need 4 of em lol
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

leaf001 wrote:

It's March 30th....any updates?  Not investing in the Arlo Pro without a solar option.

This is only a suggestion, but if there is any chance of you being able to run a USB wire to the camera for 24/7 AC power, then you won't need to invest $$$ for the solar panel, you can take the battery out making it less weight and I can almost guarantee that you won't have many of the issues everyone else is having due to the batteries.

The cameras should run flawlessly if you are able to do that. I have been extremely happy with mine that way.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I would run the batteries, also, even if wired simply for the ability to fly through a power outage. Of course, your network and base needs to be on a UPS, too. Just make sure your power supply for the camera is a Qualcomm Quick Charge certified device with both 5 and 9v outputs.