Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro outdoor charger short circuit

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
daphan
Follower
Follower

Hi all,

Just passing on some info/problems I am experiencing with the Arlo Pro system at the moment. So here's some background.

I have 4 camera pack. Recently purchased 4 outdoor chargers because I was tired of changing batteries every week (not 3 to 6 months).  All connected up fine all working for a few days, then I started noticing problems.  One camera appeared offline. I managed to get it working again after resetting the base and the camera. Then the next day, another camera went offline.  Then two of the cameras suddenly have battery recharge warnings and then the two went dead even though the charger was connected.

So today took one of the cameras down and noticed that there was some wetness in the port, so water may have gotten in.  Plug it into the indoor charger that came with the pack, won't charge. So I think the battery is dead.  Removed the battery and plug the charger in, the camera came back to life and showed up as main connected instead of the battery.  Took the camera back outside and plugged it back into the outdoor charger, the camera showed up as connected but within seconds there were smokes coming out of the port! lucky I noticed the smoke early, otherwise could have caused a fire. The port melted and was on fire when I unplug it.

I am now worried about the remaining 3 cameras, So what are my options here to make a claim with Netgear?

20170806_151904.jpg20170806_152002.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

daphan,

The Arlo Outdoor Power adapter (VMA4700) is designed to be weatherproof for outdoor use. It sounds like the AC adapter may not have been properly secured in the charging port, allowing in water/moisture.

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

rgibson75
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have a short due to the VMA4700 which was attached to a pro camera which occurred sometime in the last week while out of town.  Upon opening the camera, the internal usb circuitry is fried, the case to the battery is melted and the tab to remove the battery is melted/missing, rendering the camera useless to even use on battery alone (when the battery finally dies).IMG_8691.JPGIMG_8692.JPGIMG_8693.JPGIMG_8694.JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Opening the case may wellbe an issue but open a case with support.

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't live in a wet area at all thought it gets very hot. I am using the outdoor charger on a cam mounted under an overhang. The charger is plugged into an outdoor outlet in a weather protected box.  I have run this for 2 weeks. I am on my second charger. The first one caused a clicking sound audible on my PC when using live view. I replicated the same sound using a different camera with the charger plugged in inside my home. This eliminated the cam as the cause. So I decided to buy another charger to see if the same clicking sound occured. And indeed it did. While this does not indicate any potential for fire I do wonder where there is a clicking sound. I have sound on the cam at normal volume. On my PC I can hear even at low volume. Sounds like jackhammer noise. Is this an issue? I notice the NG moderator on here doing damage control because burning somone's house down is a serious thing. I ask NG directly, why does the charger make this sound? FYI the normal non outdoor charger does not make any sound. The outdoor one makes a sound until the cam is 100% charged. If I find my house burned down I will sue NG and rip their head off. So go to your tech people and find the answer. Post the answer here. I dont do offline responses sweeping anything under the rug from people. Tell me why does it make a sound? Is this normal?

arizala
Aspirant
Aspirant

I experienced the same problem.  Moreover, I bought 3 of these adapters for my house and 3 additional ones for my daughter's house, and they all failed.  This is a dismal product.  Netgear will not aknowledge it directly but Amazon sent me an email that confirmed my suspicion: 
"The NETGEAR  has informed us that the product  Arlo Outdoor Power Adapters (Model No. VMA4700) may have an issue with the connection between the adapter and Arlo Pro cameras may allow water to enter the camera. When this happens the camera may stop charging, cease to work, or overheat. If you believe your purchase is impacted, please stop using the product. NETGEAR has informed us that they will provide additional information to customers. "

However, theadditional information was not forthcoming.  Netgear is stonewalling this. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Amazon didn't send out their notice in a vacuum. Right now, your choices are to send them back to Amazon or to open a case with support here.

arizala
Aspirant
Aspirant
I️ am sure that Amazon didn’t send it out in a vacuum. They have the power of many buyers. I️ have yet to have any tech support assistant tell me that there is anything wrong with these units when they obviously fail multiple times. Amazon is more accommodating than Netgear as far as taking them back. These should have never been sold to the public.
PSN-jorge197
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo Outdoor Power Adapter Accessory (VMA4700) has been voluntarily recalled.

Click here for more information.