Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro camera unauthorized disabling

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Arlojbdax
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a real estate open house today for brokers.  My broker ran it.  My Arlo camera was disabled for the entire open house.  Five minutes after I arrived back home the camera was enabled and picked up my movement.  Are there devices out there that can do unauthorized disabling of the camera?  If so, how do I prevent this from happening?  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not necessarily a device, the agent may have turned off the internet…

simple to do and when turned on all would work fine ( base left on ).

If you had armed cameras and used usb backup, the files may be on the backup mem ( and not in library ).

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Arlojbdax
Aspirant
Aspirant

If they turned off the internet the other cameras would not be enabled and they were and they recorded clips.  I reviewed my USB backup and nothing from the camera that was disabled.  Looks like this camera was targeted because of its central location to people and conversations.  The fact that this camera picked up my movement about 15 minutes after my broker left looks really suspicious.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlojbdax wrote:

If they turned off the internet the other cameras would not be enabled and they were and they recorded clips.  I reviewed my USB backup and nothing from the camera that was disabled.  Looks like this camera was targeted because of its central location to people and conversations.  The fact that this camera picked up my movement about 15 minutes after my broker left looks really suspicious.

Did you ask the broker?

The simplest attack would be to just turn off the base station (assuming it is visible and easily accessed). 

Removing power from the camera (pulling the battery) is also possible, but I'd expect to see some recording when the camera was interfered with.  Unless it powered purely on AC (no battery inside).

Were the other cameras also Arlo models?  If so, were they on the same base station?

Arlojbdax
Aspirant
Aspirant

They can't access the base station.  It's locked away in a room.  I didn't ask the broker because I suspect her involvement.  All of the other Arlo cameras were the same model (Arlo Pro). I bought all six of them at the same time.  If the camera was removed it would certainly have been picked up but it wasn't.