Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro base station

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MJPC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Netgear/Arlo

I'm thinking of buying an Arlo pro solution to my boat, but I can't find out how much battery power I need for the base station and router.

I have a little wireless router for 4G net, but it seems to that the base station can't talk wireless with this router.

We don't have mains on the boat when we are not on the boat, so the solution need to be running on 12 VDC and the power should be as low as possible.

It's a good thing that the camera can run for month on battery, but it does not help if the base station and router will drain the boat battery too fast.

How much current will the Arlo pro base station take when running on 12VDC?

What do you suggest for low current router?

Do you have other guide for me? 

MJPC

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro base draws about 1amp +, the ac power supply outs puts 1.5a @ 12dc

And many of the 4G hotspots do support 12v dc ( but you'll have to check which one yourself ) ... it just needs an ethernet port for the base

I do assume you have some sort of solar panel on the boat? ... a 40w + unit should be more than enough to keep your base and router going ( about 2 amps output ) tho a 100w would be a better bet for other needs and keeping the battery bank up.

If you just worried about the inside of the boat, the Q camera would also work, can be run from a 12v adapter to usb ( 5v ).

This camera would prob link to your current wifi hotspot and doesn't use a base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MJPC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi TomMac,

Thanks for your answers.

No, we have not any solar panels on boat and the security system shall also work in winter time also, so solar panels is not usefull.

The Arlo pro camera is OK I think because it can work up to 6 month on battery (if no movement I think, but this can't help.

I need a system with a average current below 30 mA.

So with your base current which draws 1000mA is much over what can be use on a boat as I see it.

MJPC

AOA7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk M1 4GX Gigabit LTE Mobile Router works as a base station  for arlo pro

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I see nothing in the specs that indicates it works as a base for Arlo. It does have an Ethernet port so I guess you mean you can plug the base into it normally.

AOA7
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Found it.  That's news to me but maybe I missed something. No one that I can remember has mentioned this.  Good catch.