Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Software Creates Spurious/Phantom Rules.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JerrySG
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo computer website and the mobile app don't play well together.  Two parts. Part 1: using Microsoft Edge (I also tested this in Chrome with the same result) I created a new mode, "New Mode."  Then I created a rule with one device, my Front Door Cam, and configuted it to record and notify me, and saved it.  Then I opened New Mode, still in Edge, and saw the rule: If Motion on Front Door Cam, the only rule I created. All good.  But then I logged into my arlo account on my iPhone X running iOS 12, opened New Mode and I saw TWO rules (I created only one rule in Edge). The two rules were If Motion on Front Door Cam and Front Door Cam.  Where did the rule Front Door Cam come from?  I examined the rule Front Door Cam and saw that it did nothing; it wasn't configured to record, or to notify, nothing. I went back to MS Edge and opened New Mode and the phantom rule wasn't there - only the single rule I created: If Motion on Front Door Cam.  Part 2: In MS Edge I created a real mode I intend to use (I did actually create New Mode as I mentioned above but it was just a test).  I called my real mode Overnight and created five rules in it. Two of the rules involved only one camera (e.g., motion on Cam 1 is the trigger and Cam 1 will also record) and three of the rules involved three cameras (e.g., Cam 2 is the trigger and Cam 2, Cam 3, and Cam 4 will all record). As I said, I created this mode in MS Edge. All good. But Arlo on my iPhone showed the five rules I created PLUS TWO additional rules, similar to Part 1 above.  But now here's the new thing in this Part 2: using the iPhone I simply deleted the two phantom rules. No problem. The iPhone now shows the five rules I created. All good.  I go back to MS Edge and it now shows ONLY THREE of my five rules.  I then go back to my iPhone and it now also shows only three of my five rules.  I used the IPhone to recreate the two missing rules that I had originally created in MS Edge.  I also decided that I shouldn't use the Arlo website until Arlo can fix this so that the computer website and the mobile apps can play nice together.

2 REPLIES 2
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

JerrySG,

Have your rules remained intact when you used your Iphone to re create them last?

JerrySG
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. All my rules appear to be intact. I have two modes and each mode has five rules.  The main difference between the modes is that one includes the alarm/siren, the other doesn't.
After I used my iPhone to create all the rules I wanted I opened Arlo again in Edge to examine the modes and rules (I did no editing or setting - like changing a rule or enabling a mode)  and nothing had (or has) changed since I fixed them on the iPhone. Then I went back to Arlo on the iPhone and there, too, everything looks good.  So, I think I'm good.  But, as I indicated, I don't trust the website as reliable for making rules that the mobile app can successfully deal with.  BTW, the version of the mobile app on my iPhone and iPad is 2.5.5.  Also, everything I've said about the iPhone also pertains to our iPad. My experience leads me to conclude that there is some unfortunate interaction between the website software and that for the mobile app. They don't play nice with each other.