Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
minidog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an Arlo Pro three camera kit about four months ago. I set up all three cameras in various locations outside and created modes to record video and send notifications when motion is detected based on the particular needs we have.  Everything worked fine for a month or so before one camera suddenly stopped detecting motion (it stopped recording video and sending notifications).  Prior to it stopping it typically recorded 25-50 videos a day, no rules within the mode were changed.  Live video still worked fine, the motion detection symbol (the one which looks like a person) was black, indicating motion detection was on.  The signal strength was full.  The other two cameras continued to detect motion fine.

I tried swapping the battery, which did not help.  I cranked the motion sensitivity to 100, which did not help.  Finally I removed the device, replaced the battery, and re-added the camera to my base station.  That brought the camera back to life with motion detection but unfortunately also meant having to add the camera back to all my custom rules.

A week or two later a second of the three cameras developed the same symptoms, only a remove device and re-add (and rebuild modes) allowed it to start detecting motion.

Long story short, every two to four weeks I need to remove and re-add these two cameras to bring back motion detection.  One of the three cameras has not developed this problem.

It seems unlikely (but not impossible) that two of the three cameras in the kit have bad hardware but it feels like more of a software issue to me considering the remove and re-add fixes it right away.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any potential solutions?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are currently software issues affecting various users (but not all) and you may be one of them. About all you can try right now is to use a computer browser to change settings as well as a system reset by removing all devices from Settings, My Devices and starting fresh which has worked for some folks.

minidog
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you, I probably should do a complete factory reset on the base station. I haven’t tried that yet. I was just procrastinating having to redo all the modes..
minidog
Aspirant
Aspirant
I performed a complete factory reset a couple weeks ago and set up the system from scratch. One of the cameras just stopped detecting motion again. I guess I need to open a support ticket
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

minidog,

Are you using a custom mode setup or is this happening with the default "Armed" mode?

JamesC

minidog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both, I do use a custom mode setup but as a test I tried the default Armed mode too.  Despite the motion detection icon (the person with the two waves in front of it) being black, indictating it's in motion detection mode, no videos are ever captured.

I'm suspecing a faulty camera, although it happens with two of the three cameras that came in the set.  It has never happened with one of the cameras and continues to happen with the other two even after resets.  It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue since there isn't a lot of talk on the forums about it.

The next time it happens I'm going to contact Arlo support directly.

Thanks!

mcgreen1966
Star
Star

Hi i have exactly the same issue, both my cameras have been working for 14 months or more, now i have intermiitent motion detection.

basically it stops detecting motion, but if i disarm then re-arm the cameras it starts working again.

I suspect it was one of the recent firmware updates probably the may one .?

wish i could role the firmware back. 😞 , hopefull a fix will come along soon

cheers

Mark

minidog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm suspecting it's a hardware issue, I need to work with netgear support to get the camera replaced.  The latest test I tried was swapping camera locations around.  After moving the camera that was having motion detection problems to another location (which has never had problems) the problem moved with it, the new location stopped detecting motion.  There seems to be something at fault in that particular camera and not the location or the mode rules.

A second of the three cameras exhibited the same exact problem a few months ago but hasn't since so hopefully it's ok.