Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro video quality vs battery life

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
NCKpu86
Star
Star

Anyone have any real-world experience in terms of how adjusting video quality affects battery life?  I have not had my system very long, but spent some time on the "optimized" setting before bumping up to the "best video" setting.  As of yet, no apparent change to battery life.

Anyone with more long-term experience?

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I think what you would see is less transmit of data ( saving power) due to rez being lower.... a guess

Never ran it there.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
NCKpu86
Star
Star

Right - I understand the principle as far as why lower quality would result in longer battery life.  I'm interested on how dramatic the difference in battery life might be, if anyone has experience.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Frankly, I haven't seen any difference but it hasn't been in a controlled test.  If best quality give you an extra day or two, you'd be hard-pressed to see it in real life, especially since the number of videos is very likely to change from one test to another.

Korbel
Aspirant
Aspirant

My batteries only lasted less than 3 weeks on the very best video quality. When set to battery life, I'm getting 6 weeks. Still not very good. Batteries are expensive.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Based on my observations, the quality setting makes only a small difference in battery life. The number of minutes per day of recording and live viewing plus the quality of the WiFi connection are both potential battery killers.