Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro- vertical motion detection?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

How well does the Arlo Pro camera motion detection work with top to bottom motion?  What's weird is that it won't pick up my truck pulling in or out of the drive way but will trigger on me walking to or from the truck. 

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

As you've noted, top to bottom isn't great and objects moving directly towards the camera are worse. This is because a PIR sensor works with "beams" that need multiple to be broken to detect anything.

First, make sure you start with motion sensitivity at 100 and work your way down as you get false alerts, though these may be plentiful as cars go side to side at the top of the frame.

Second, you might need to move your camera position

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

As you've noted, top to bottom isn't great and objects moving directly towards the camera are worse. This is because a PIR sensor works with "beams" that need multiple to be broken to detect anything.

First, make sure you start with motion sensitivity at 100 and work your way down as you get false alerts, though these may be plentiful as cars go side to side at the top of the frame.

Second, you might need to move your camera position

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

I was hoping for better since this is more of a top to bottom motion than it is a toward and away motion.  I initially tried a location left of the current location and rotated 90 degrees. This missed me walking and had mixed results with a car on the other side- it would trigger on the car going into the garage but never on the car leaving the garage?!?! Another problem with this is that a significant portion of the view is lost due to the house wall  and it overlaps the street a fair amount, too, potentially causing false triggers.

Capture.JPG

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I can't see the attached pic/video until one of the admins allows it to be seen, but definitely consider the location of the camera and the motion of the objects you want to capture and motion sensitivity setting

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

Those aren't links to the actual videos. They're just screen captures from the library screen.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I can see it now. Can you tilt the camera left a bit more so there's less wall in the picture? I guess that means more street in the picture though. Hard space to monitor without zones

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

I'm concerned about too many false triggers due to the street and sidewalk so I've left it in the position in the first picture. The second camera is on the other side of the house (to the far right in the first picture) pointing at the truck driver's side and the house door. This second camera has great side to side action. Then I've set up a mode where either of those cameras also triggers the other to record. So far, this seems to be working fairly well.