Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro showing still in device list but not recording to library. Arlo Smart not recording?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
TurleyE
Aspirant
Aspirant

I look at the device list, and there is a screenshot of someone on my property from an hour ago. When I go to the library, there are no recordings for 5 hours. Is this Arlo Smart deciding it doesn't need to record it, even though I have everything selected! This is of no use for security.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TurleyE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having left a thumb-drive in, I can see that there are loads of recordings that are not appearing in the cloud, so triggering isn't an issue, just the base doesn't send them to the cloud. Will have to treat the system as a local system with occasional cloud ability - not sure where this leaves my Arlo Smart subscription, though, as if its not going to the cloud then Smart cant analyse it. Will have a think about cancelling it.

Thanks for the help all. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TurleyE wrote:

I look at the device list, and there is a screenshot of someone on my property from an hour ago. When I go to the library, there are no recordings for 5 hours. Is this Arlo Smart deciding it doesn't need to record it, even though I have everything selected! This is of no use for security.

Arlo Smart won't drop recordings - though Cloud Activity Zones will.

Do you have Activity Zones enabled?

Do you have a USB storage connected to your base station?

TurleyE
Aspirant
Aspirant
No, don’t have activity zones setup.
Unfortunately I don’t have USB drive connected, as would have loved to see if it would have recorded locally.
It happened again today on the same camera. Has recorded properly prior and after both missed ones. Makes me wonder what else I am missing.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TurleyE wrote:
No, don’t have activity zones setup.
Unfortunately I don’t have USB drive connected, as would have loved to see if it would have recorded locally.

I suggest connecting a thumb drive.

You might also want to re-run the motion detection test on the camera.  https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

TurleyE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, that's what I have now done - had a drive plugged in a while ago, but broken when knocked over and never replaced it.

Trouble is, you cant view content from the drive without unplugging and connecting to a computer - unless I am lucky to see a still for something that is missing from the cloud, there is no way of knowing that I need to look at the drive for missing content, so could be missing all sorts of events.

Yeah, done the motion test, and works perfectly. The only thing that doesn't is that it doesn't always record when it detects motion.

Thanks for your help.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey TurleyE,

If you're still having problems where you're not receiving any recordings to your library, try optimizing motion detection for your Arlo Pro camera to see if that helps: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo camera?

TurleyE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having left a thumb-drive in, I can see that there are loads of recordings that are not appearing in the cloud, so triggering isn't an issue, just the base doesn't send them to the cloud. Will have to treat the system as a local system with occasional cloud ability - not sure where this leaves my Arlo Smart subscription, though, as if its not going to the cloud then Smart cant analyse it. Will have a think about cancelling it.

Thanks for the help all.