Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
sinex
Follower
Follower

Arlo Pro-incompatible charger has been detected. Connect a compatible arlo charger

This is a message that a number have received when connecting an external charger, well after extensive testing I have found that i can connect one camera to an arlo outdoor mains charger with its battery inside with no problem, but i cant do the same to camera 2,3,4 and 5 unless you remove their batteries.

Given arlo was designed to be a  wirless system, i wonder if  there is a software firmware restriction on the number of volts that can be input.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sinex wrote:

Given arlo was designed to be a  wirless system, i wonder if  there is a software firmware restriction on the number of volts that can be input.

I don't see this as being connected to it being a wireless system.  All rechargable devices have some protection built into the charging circuit, and many will provide alerts when they detect a voltage that is out of the expected range.

What charger model are you using, and what camera model(s) do you have?

NWA_Ash
Initiate
Initiate

We literally just unboxed the extra Arlo Pro camera to add to our system. I should have known better than to buy one with a proprietary battery that can only be charged with Arlo hardware. The USB and plug that SHIPPED WITH THE CAMERA are being recognized as incompatible. How can that be??

glmccready
Guide
Guide

I've been having this trouble, esp with certain cams for 3 years.  I have all Arlo stuff,m and it still doesn't work correctly. So there is the kicker...I call tech support, they tell me to unplug the camera and plu 9it back in..AFTER I'd just told them I'm in a wheelchair and can't climb a ladder.  I have one cam that is outside, and re-plugged so many times the USB is falling apart. I call, get  a request for docs...and get an error message.  Then 4 days later, they tell me my case will be close if I don't respond..... Worthless for a top dollar item!  I have 7 cams and wish I'd gone a different route.arlo_tech support....trying.JPG 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@NWA_Ash wrote:

We literally just unboxed the extra Arlo Pro camera to add to our system. I should have known better than to buy one with a proprietary battery that can only be charged with Arlo hardware. The USB and plug that SHIPPED WITH THE CAMERA are being recognized as incompatible. How can that be??

You can use any charger that supports Qualcomm QuickCharge capability, which has both 5v and 9v outputs. The cable can be pretty much any cable that fits the hole in the camera.  If the charger doesn't supply the appropriate voltages, you'll get that message. That would imply a hardware failure, which is covered by the warranty. Of course, you could also swap at the store if new enough.