Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro only works during live stream when opened

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
antlazlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I set up my Arlo pro prior to leaving for vacation. Everything worked fine, it picked up motion and notified me of it as well as taking the standard video clips.
I set it to “armed” with notifications and then left. A neighbors cat constantly comes across my cameras front door view and I hadn’t gotten any notifications while I was away which I though was weird. So I log on the app and open it up to live mode and see a deer moving around right in the camera view. I didn’t get any notification nor did it record.
I just got home and I went to test it out. First of all I go out so see if it will pick up my motion and it doesn’t. So I turn on live mode to see if it’s even working and it is (good thing). It’s night time so I notice only when I turn on live mode do the standard red dots turn on for the night vision which tells me the camera isn’t even on unless I’m active on the app and press live stream. Which that would explain why I didn’t get any movement notifications while I was away. So moral of the story here is I don’t think my camera even stays on unless I open up live mode. Also, I set it to best quality and the battery was dropping rapidly over the first couple days. Tonight it’s still right around the same percentage it was at prior to leaving for vacation which further proves my issue.
Sorry for the long winded post but just looking to see if anyone else has had the same issue and how they fixed it. I tried calling customer service and the very nice lady hung up on me when she couldn’t find my account information. Arlo is now 0 for 2 tonight.
Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Check the color of the running man. If it's grey as opposed to black then go into modes and make sure that for that camera motion is detected and record video are both checked.

antlazlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I log into the app and the running man is black. Then I press the play button to begin live mode and he turns to grey as live mode is up and running. I have “if motion is detected” and “record video” both checked off.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If they toggle switch is set to on in the app then your cameras are on, they just aren't doing anything when detecting motion. The IR lights only come on at night when you're live viewing or motion recording. Since your cams aren't recording when they detect motion, you won't see the IR lights.

I would try setting up a new custom mode, setup cams and settings how you want in that new custom mode, and test that out. See if recording starts when motion is detected when using the custom mode. If things start working again, just use custom modes instead of the default modes.