Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
KLUTE12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking at getting Arlo Pro, 2 camera system. I live out in a rual area that does not have the best internet available. We have ATT phone service and have great LTE service at our house and was looking at getting the ATT hotspot for our home. I went to ATT yesterday to see my options and confirm that the hotspot would have a ethernet port (which it does). The rep there suggested that I try to use the ATT internet that I have available which his computer said is 1mbps. He did mention that most people in my area that have this see higher rates (5mbps - 12mbps). He said that the hotspot may have issues uploading the video due to the bandwith or something. 

I am just wondering what I should do. Hot Spot with 100G data plan? Or slow land line internet? Any help would be great! Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary

The most critical component of your internet connection for camera usage is upload speed. I suspect that they may have given you download speed.
You are going to want about 1-2 mbps upload per camera that is recording. Of course, even more is better. So if both record at same time, 4-5 mbps you would need. This is in addition to anything else that may be using bandwidth on your internet connection.

Give it a try and see how it goes. Dont be surprised if you have issues. This does not mean that Arlo is a bad product. Most internet based cameras will have the same requirement.

Good luck.

KLUTE12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your input. I will confirm with ATT about the upload speed. I do believe that is what the ATT rep was talking about when he told me the slow "land line" (my lack for better term) would probably be better for the cameras.  

If anyone else has been in the similar situation I would appreciate your input. If wireless cameras are not the way to go for me then I would rather find our before purcahsing the cameras. Thanks!

utahcrazy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Arlo Pro setup on a AT&T Nighthawk hotspot on our property in rural Nevada.  Seems to work pretty good except for the video becoming more pixelated after around 30 seconds or so.  We are about 10 miles from the nearest cell tower.

KLUTE12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. Any idea how much data you typically use per month for that set up? How many cameras are you using?