Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro not recording through window

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Rex4002
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried setting the sensitivity to max and turned off night vision. If camera will not detect motion on the front porch through the window then doesn't this really defeat the purpose of having a security camera? Not everyone has a home where the porch has a high ceiling and an outside mount would be out of reach. I'm in an older home and if I mounted my camera outside I could easily reach up and snatch it off the magnetic base or unscrew it. 

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@Rex4002

Short answer is that the outside cameras use PIR motion detecting and cannot work through a window. Those are the original Arlo cameras and the Arlo Pro. They only use one type of motion detection so that the batteries don't drain too fast.

The Arlo Q cameras use pixel based motion detection and they can work through glass. They also use PIR motion sensing so that you are able to create zones if the camera is plugged into AC power.

The Arlo Pro 2 Also uses both types of motion detection.

Brian

Rex4002
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the quick answer Brian. Guess the next question is...I have four cameras and can add a 5th. Can the camera you are talking about work with the arlo pro? Too pricey to buy a whole new system. Guess I should have checked this out before buying the whole system but it is just something that never occurred to me. Who would have thought? 

Rex4002
Tutor
Tutor

Ah...never mind...I just looked the camera and see that it is wired. Wow...I wish I would have done more research before buying this system. I wish I would have kept my $79 Samsung cameras from Costco I gave away when I bought this system. 

brh
Master
Master

@Rex4002

I simply think you purchased the wrong cameras for how you are trying to use them. The Arlo Pro is really ment to be used outdoors. If you read the posts in the Idea Exchange you will see that many people have come up with creative ways to secure their cameras outside.

You would be better off using the arlo Q or Q Plus or thr Pro 2 cameras for indoor use looking outside through a window. With them you can create Activity Zones to select the areas you want to monitor motion, (in this latest debacle, the zones are currently messed up, though).

If you must use the cameras indoors and you can return them, you would would be better off with the models I mentioned for indoor use.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@brh wrote:

The Arlo Q cameras use pixel based motion detection and they can work through glass. They also use PIR motion sensing so that you are able to create zones if the camera is plugged into AC power.

The Arlo Pro 2 Also uses both types of motion detection.

The Q cameras use ONLY pixel-base detection - they have no PIR detectors. The P2 cameras do have PIR detectors and use them to determine when motion occurs and then uses the pixel-based detection for zones.

brh
Master
Master

@jguerdat

Thanks for the correction of my post.

Brian